Anonymous
2014-05-12
2014-05-22
  • Anonymous - 2014-05-12

I have used KeePass for some time and find it quite helpful in
    generating complex passwords and keeping track of the various usernames
    and passwords I use for different purposes to prevent a single lapse
    from corrupting all my privacy shields.

Of late, 2 problems have occurred that I have no idea how to fix.

First, when I want to change a password for a particular username and
    resource entity, I cannot get 2.25 to generate a new password even by
    deleting the old one. I have successfully deleted an entire entry in
    the data set and re-added it and got a new password. Is is not possible
    to simple generate a new password and replace the old one with the new one?

Second, because 2.26 is available and I'm still using 2.25, I tried to
    download and install 2.26. The installation executable seemed to run to
    end of job without incident, but when I restart the app 2.25 still
    appears in the About KeePass screen. What must I do to upgrade to 2.26
    and use my old data set?

TIA

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-12

What must I do to upgrade to 2.26 and use my old data set?

If you used the installer for both versions, then KeePass 2.26 should have overwritten 2.25 and the new version would have started and opened the database. The installer won't touch either your database or, if you used one, your key file. Check in your installed programs, you should have only one KeePass installed. If there is more than one installation & you don't know how to rectify the situation, report what you see here.

If one of your installations is the portable version then the installer won't replace it and it won't be listed in the installed programs.

If you have only one KeePass version installed and want to remove all the others then:

1. Identify and delete obsolete versions of KeePass
      A. Identify your database (default extension .kdbx) and, if you used one, your key file and make sure they are not in one of the KeePass program directories. A good place to move the database file is to your documents folder.
      B. Identify the KeePass.exe that corresponds to the installed version of KeePass.exe (the one listed in your installed programs). Start it, and open the database from the new location (if you moved it) using 'File>Open>Open File...' from within KeePass.
      C. Once you verified that you can open the database from the installed version of KeePass then you can either delete the other versions or rename the directories (e.g. to JUNK) for future deletion.
    2. Install the latest version of KeePass (2.26) using the installer if it isn't already up-to-date

I cannot get 2.25 to generate a new password even by deleting the old one.

KeePass will not generate a new password when you delete an old one. You must press the button to the right of the 'Repeat:' field (it has a key & gear icon) on the Edit Entry dialog and select an option to generate a new password.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-05-12
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-12

Note: Each time you run KeePass from an .exe file you must make sure to exit KeePass first (make sure the KeePass.exe process is not running in taskmanager). Otherwise you can't be sure whether you are running a new instance or just maximizing the already open instance.

• Anonymous - 2014-05-22

Thanks for the information.

My problem is resolved. This is what I did.

First, I checked installed programs to ensure that v2.25 was installed. I found several instances of items and deleted them all. I then downloaded the v2.26 and installed it. Now I can generate a new password by deleting the old one (I always save it elsewhere first) and clicking the Generate Password button. That takes me to the Password Generator panel but only if I have deleted the old password first. I can then generate a new password for the entry.

I'm still puzzled as to why I am taken to the Password Generator options panel. Why can I not simply click the Generate New Password button and have the entry populated?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-22

I'm still puzzled as to why I am taken to the Password Generator options panel.

You shouldn't be taken to the Password Generator unless you are pressing 'Tools>Generate Password...'

To generate a new password for an entry, press the button to the right of the password Repeat field on the Add/Edit Entry dialog (it has a key & gear icon). You will see a drop down menu consisting of various password generation options. Select '(Automatically generated passwords for new entries)' to obtain a new password based on the default password generation profile.

I have attached an image of the entry's default entry password selection menu with an additional 'My Custom Password Profile' option'

The entry's password generation selection menu can be customized but not bypassed.

• To modify the default password generation profile:
      • Open the Password generator,
      • Design a profile,
      • Press the the save button to the far right of the 'Profile:' label,
      • in the 'Save as Profile' dialog, Select '(Automatically generated passwords for new entries)' from the drop down menu.
    • To create a custom profile, follow the steps for modifying the default profile except provide your own custom name in the 'Save as Profile' dialog.
    • To suppress display of profiles designated '(built-in)' in the entry's password selection drop down menu, modify the UIFlags element in the active keepass.config.xml by adding 65536 to its contents e.g. <UIFlags>65536</UIFlags>

Last edit: wellread1 2014-05-22
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-22

Now I can generate a new password by deleting the old one (I always save it elsewhere first)...

It is not necessary to delete the old password. After you update the entry with the new password, the old password will be saved in the Entry's History tab.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-05-22

When you click on the Generate Password button you should see a selection (Open password generator, derive from previous, etc). There is no need to delete the old password.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks