2.17 -Can't Remove AutoType Duplicate E...

Help
TJ C
2012-01-11
2012-11-19
  • TJ C

TJ C - 2012-01-11

Please help me remove multiple entries when using AutoType.

Summary:
    1. Had to change AutoType sequence when upgrading Skype from v4 to v5
    2. I Deleted all of the old saved sequences, and setup the new sequence
    3. But now whenever I use AutoType on Skype the multiple entries found selection screen pops up. (Why…There is only one Skype Entry in my entire database).
    3. I tried deleting all the history items for that entry, and even deleting and recreating the entire entry but still get the multiple entries selection screen.
    4. It seems the only way to get around it is to change the entry TITLE.

My question : Is there some leftover files somewhere in KeyPass that I can clean so KeePass won't still remember entries and sequences that no longer exist?

• Paul

Paul - 2012-01-12

KeePass doesn't remember anything, it looks everything up in the database.
    When KeePass searches your database for a matching title it will match any word or part of a word. In the case of Skype the page title in Firefox is "Skype sign in - Sign in to your Skype account - Mozilla Firefox". Any KeePass entry you have that has a Title of "Firefox" will match as will a Title of "Skype".

cheers, Paul

• TJ C

TJ C - 2012-01-13

2012-01-12 13:25:59 PST
    KeePass doesn't remember anything, it looks everything up in the database. When KeePass searches your database for a matching title it will match any word or part of a word. In the case of Skype the page title in Firefox is "Skype sign in - Sign in to your Skype account - Mozilla Firefox". Any KeePass entry you have that has a Title of "Firefox" will match as will a Title of "Skype". cheers, Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your input and I understand what you meant but I am still confused because:

1. My KeePass is setup to auto-type into the SKYPE app, which is not shared by any other entry in my database(I have only 1 Skype entry).

2. When the multiple entry screen selection screen pops-up, the multiple entry I see is the old Skype v4 AutoType sequence that I have deleted(it no longer exists anywhere in my database).  I do not understand why this entry shows in the multiple entry screen even after I deleted the entire Skype entry, and recreated the entry from scratch.

Could you help clarify why this happens, and more importantly any workarounds to remove the duplicate.

Thank you,

TJ

• Paul

Paul - 2012-01-15

Deleted entries are moved to the Recycle Bin folder in KeePass V2. maybe that is where the entry is found?

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2012-01-15

You can allow searching in the Recycle Bin by right clicking on the folder and selecting Edit.

cheers, Paul

• TJ C

TJ C - 2012-01-16

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, but I don't think that was the problem.  I say that because I always delete the recycle bin folder when I delete entries, and the duplicate entry problem existed before I deleted it.

Thanks for taking the time to help out though.

TJ

• Darren Newsgroup

I think the duplication comes from having all of the 3 being true

1) the "Title" of your Keepass entry exists in the web page address
    2) the "Auto-Type" has a "custom sequence for specific windows" with the webpage you are having the problem on
    3) the "custom sequence" is different to the "inherited default auto-type" or the "override default sequence"

I had this problem and I fixed it by changing the "override default sequence" to the same as my "specific window". Changing the "Title" was not really an option as I use that to search for the entry and click on the stored URL to get me to the webpage. My approach works because I only have one "custom sequence". It might not work if you have more than one sequence in which case changing the title might be your only option

Darren .)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks