Cannot open KDBX files

Help
Anonymous
2012-01-31
2012-11-19
  • Anonymous - 2012-01-31

I have been thinking that I was backing up my KeePass Database by only copying the password.kdbx file regularly. A couple of days ago, my computer's disk has crashed and I moved to a new disk. Now when I install the KeePass and try to open the kdbx file, the program says 'cannot open KDBX files'. I am in a desperate state now, because I have lost all my passwords.
    Is there a way to reach my old password database? I know the password of the kdbx file. Any support appreciated!!!

• Paul

Paul - 2012-02-01

Have you installed KeePass V2? V1 will not open KDBX files.

cheers, Paul

• Marcelo Gonçalves d'Avila

I have the same problem, after reinstal my computer the new instalation of keypass is not accepting my kdbx file.
    What can I do?

• Paul

Paul - 2012-07-29

We need more information about what you have done and what errors you get.

cheers, Paul

I had to re instal windows on my computer, after that, I installed the Keypass and tryed to open the kdbx file but it doesnt open.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-07-31

Some questions you might want to answer or check out:

1.  What was your old operating system?
    2.  What is your new operating system?
    3.  What version of KeePass were you using?
    5.  What exact (major + minor) version of KeePass are you using now?
    6.  What is the extension of the KeePass database that you are trying to open?
    7.  What is the exact error message that you receive when you attempt to open the problem database?
    8.  What have you done to verify that you are typing in the correct password?
    9.  What is the composition of the Master Key for the problem database? (e.g. password only?, password + key file; password + key file + windows account?)
    10. Can you create a new database with a simple password such as "test" and open it?

-wellread1

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-07-31

11. Also, what have you done to verify that you are attempting to open the correct database?

-wellread1

I had a Windows 7 x64 and now I have Windows 7 x64
    I had a Keypass 2.19  and now I have KeyPass 2.19
    the extention is .kdbx
    the message is: "The composite key is invalid"
    I didnt use a password, I always log as "windows user account"
    yes, I can create a new database.
    I am not surte if the new account (after Windows installation) has the same name as tha old one. this might be the problem. in this case, is there anything I can do?
    thanks

• Anonymous - 2012-11-07

Really bad, I was traying to use my keepass file along all my computers saving the file in SkyDrive…. :( Really bad in cloud :(

• Paul

Paul - 2012-11-07

Really bad how?
    KeePass is able to synchronise multiple changed databases and the documentation specifically describes how to do this with Dropbox. If you can tell us how you are trying to use KeePass we can suggest possible solutions.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks