Freshly installed - Not accepting Master Password

Help
Mattias
2013-03-29
2013-03-29
  • Mattias

Mattias - 2013-03-29

So I downloaded this software this morning and installed it according to instructions.
    Set up a Master Password and the necessary stuff.
    I also set it up so database would lock after x amount of seconds of inactivity.

After creating some groups and such with some passwords and saved the database. I went inactive and when I got back the window with "Save, Don't Save, Cancel" had come up. I pressed "save" and tried to re-entering the database and it would not accept my Master Password.

Error message
    Picture of "save"-window

How can I retrieve my database?

ps. I tried out the thing with recovering database.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-03-29

Try creating a new database with just a simple master password such as "123" and verify that you can lock/close it and unlock/reopen it. Don't add entries until you are familiar with the unlock/open procedure.

I went inactive and when I got back the window with "Save, Don't Save, Cancel" had come up.

I am not sure about what you mean by "went inactive" (I suspect you meant "locked the database"), but the save window message is a normal confirmation dialog. KeePass does not save anything until you save explicitly or unless the "Automatically save when closing/locking the database" option is set.

...and tried to re-entering the database and it would not accept my Master Password.

The error message means that information (e.g. password) you are using to unlock the database is incorrect.

Some things you can check:

1. How did you define the Master Key? was it just a password? or a combination of key elements (password, key file, windows user account)
    2. Verify that you are entering the password correctly by showing the password as you type it (press the button to the right of the password entry field)
    3. If used, verify the other elements of the composite master key (e.g. key file, and link to Windows User account

• Mattias

Mattias - 2013-03-29

Thank you for your quick reply.

You are right, I should have tried it out with a test before using it for some stuff just to get more familiar with it.

What I mean with "went inactive" is that I was away for enough time to get the window that wants me to save database in which I clicked "save".

I did not create a key file yet, just a Master Password.

The password I picked I've been using for numerous years so I'm 100% certain that I'm writing it correctly, and yes I clicked the thing to the right just to see that it is infact correct.

I'm not entirly sure what is wrong in this case. I really just installed the software, set it up simply and within 5 minutes this happened.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-03-29

What I mean with "went inactive" is that I was away for enough time to get the window that wants me to save database in which I clicked "save".

There are several settings which affect the "time to locking" and whether KeePass saves on locking. These are found in the Tools->Options->Security(tab) & Advanced(tab) respectively.

I'm not entirly sure what is wrong in this case. I really just installed the software, set it up simply and within 5 minutes this happened.

At this point there is no reason to believe that anything is wrong except that either you made a typo or defined the Master Key differently than you thought (e.g. you checked Windows User Account) when you created the database, or you are entering the wrong Master Key.

• Mattias

Mattias - 2013-03-29

Well since you have to enter the Master Password twice it is highly unlikely I made a typo.
      Also I've tried accessing the database with both Windows User Account checked and unchecked.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-03-29

Then your best bet is to start over.

• Mattias

Mattias - 2013-03-29

will do! I were stupid enough to generate some new passwords for some stuff though that got locked away so I will have to try and retrieve them some other way.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks