Menu

How to set up a KeePass entry for a local document

Help
Rob Taylor
2014-03-18
2014-03-18
  • Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor - 2014-03-18

How can I set up a KeePass entry to access a passworded locally stored Word document, and insert its password? What would I use for the User Name and URL?

I have several encrypted/password protected Word documents which contain vital system information, and I'd like to have KeePass entries for them, so that I don't have to try to remember all the different complex passwords.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-03-18

I found this vbscript stub which shows how to open a document that is password protected. If you change the script to accept the document and password as command line parameters, KeePass can call the vbscript and pass the parameters.
    Save the document path in the user name field and the password in the password field, then put the launch sequence in the URL field.
    e.g. %comspec% /c wscript.exe openword.vbs "{USERNAME}""{PASSWORD}"
    Note: the quotes are used in case you have spaces in the doc path / name or the password.

http://www.edrawsoft.com/open-password-document.php

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-03-18

The string to open Word with a specific document (not depicting paths) is winword.exe documentname.docx

The corresponding URL in the KeePass entry's URL field will be (substitute the correct paths and filename):

cmd://"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe" c:\filename1.doc

If the the document is password protected it will open displaying the Password entry prompt. The Window Title is "Password"

In the KeePass entry:

• Put the document password in the KeePass entry's Password field
    • Create a custom auto-type
      Target Window: Password
      Sequence: {PASSWORD}{ENTER}

Usage:
    Double click on the URL in KeePass
    When the Password prompt appears press the global auto-type hot key.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-03-18