Keepass & "enter window title for you" in auto type

Help
2012-12-13
2012-12-15
  • Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2012-12-13

Branch off this thread: http://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329221/thread/df8aae7e/#5f37

Paul wrote:

KeePass has a "window title viewer" that enters the window title for you.
    V1
    Edit an entry.
    Tools > Auto Type, select target window...

V2
    Edit an entry.
    Auto-Type > Add

cheers, Paul

Brittney wrote:

Paul, when in KP 2.20 portable, Fx 17, I add an entry for a page (leave title blank), add PW, URL - then browse to site's login page.

Click edit for the entry for the page, put cursor in title field, then click auto type >add > drop box shows "title" of page I'm on, that I click in drop list. Now the title is in the target window box. I even highlight that (one) entry, click OK.

Takes me back to entry main window, but never enters the page title selected in above process into the entry's title field - remains blank. Thus, auto type won't work. Tried w/ a few sites - won't add page titles into KP. Must be doing something wrong?

Paul wrote:

"Takes me back to entry main window, but never enters the page title"

Nope, KeePass won't do that. As I said previously, the title is for meaningful text, the Auto-Type target window allows specific window selection.

Paul, sorry - don't understand. Keepass won't do what? You said the "window title viewer"
    enters the window title for you. I assumed that meant, that once you're on the login page,
    click Add in Auto Type, KP adds the window title to the drop list; you select the correct
    one - which adds it to the "target box." Then what? It doesn't then "enter the window
    title for you," as you indicated? Then in WHAT way (where) does it "enter the window title for you?"

Do you have to copy / paste the window title from (somewhere) in the Auto Type screen, into
    the entry's Title field, under "Edit Entry"?

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-13

The KeePass title is not filled by any of the tools, it's manual.
    The tools fill in the "target window" in the Auto-Type section, which is then used in addition to the entry title - both can match. The Auto-Type tab allows you to change the Auto-Type sequence as well as add an additional match.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2012-12-13

OK, in part - I see if in the Auto Type window, once have selected the correct window title from drop list - it's then in the drop list & target window.

You can copy it from the drop list box to title field, but don't think you can copy it from target window.

Found nothing in Help about the target window usage.
    How does having the correct window title in the target window work, as far as "add an additional match."

Additional match to what?
    If you have / put the correct window title in the entry's title field, what is the purpose of having the SAME window title in the target window?

Having correct window title in target window with OUT correct one in title field doesn't work w/ auto type (for me). So, you must mean having a ? different string in the target window, in addition to window title in title field, that you can instruct KP to look at one or both or...?

If latter is true, how do you create / use entries in the target field "as an additional match"?

I'm sorry to ask these questions, but there's just nothing in the manual about some of this. This auto window title reader / target window usage is one example of Help file needing updating.

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-13

The Auto-Type help has explanations and examples, plus a test page. What more could you want?

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2012-12-14

Good one. Where's the section on use of the target window, additional matches? I missed it.:)

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-14

It's under Target Window Filters.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2012-12-14

You mean this:

Target Window FiltersWhen creating a custom window/sequence association, you need to tell KeePass how the matching window titles look like. Here, KeePass supports simple wildcards:

String with Wildcard Meaning
    STRING Matches all window titles that are named exactly "STRING".
    STRING Matches all window titles that start with "STRING".
    STRING Matches all window titles that end with "STRING".
    STRING Matches all window titles that have "STRING" somewhere in the window title. This includes the string being directly at the start or at the end of the window title.

Wildcards may also appear in the middle of patterns. For example, WindowsExplorer* would match Windows Explorer.

Additionally, matching using regular expressions is supported. In order to tell KeePass that the pattern is a regular expression, enclose it in //. For example, //B.?g Window// would match Big Window, Bug Window and Bg Window.
    By using wildcards, you can make your auto-type associations browser-independent. See the usage examples for more information.

I figured it out, but for instance, that doesn't touch on how to automatically add the window title of a site into the target window.

Help instructions like this, for anything technical, are using the same (very wrong) assumption as a math teacher, that skips writing steps on the board, because it's "obvious" to the teacher, how they got from step 1 to step 3, that it will also be obvious to students. It WON'T. Trust me.

I really appreciate you volunteering time (I assume) to help users, but the manual is poorly written, in many areas, unless it's the intent that users spend a long time, doing trial & error, posting on the forum, figuring out what would be relatively simple procedures, if so many "obvious" steps or methods weren't left out.

Manuals are often written from a programmer's point of view. Nero has some of the worst manuals I've ever seen. The same as math books written from math professors' view points. They understand how it works, so they skip steps that are completely un obvious to students (or users).

down the hatch,

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-15

There is no way to automatically add the window title unless you use a plug-in, like KeeFox.

The help is written to explain what bits do what. It will never work for everyone, so we have a forum.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks