Open URL & Auto-Type For Remote Desktop?

Help
Longhair
2014-04-14
2015-02-04
  • Longhair

Longhair - 2014-04-14

I was wondering if all of the steps below can be automated to just one step.

Step 1: Open a URL for remote desktop.
    Step 2: Fill in the Computer: field.
    Step 3: Press the connect button.
    Step 4: Chose "Use another account"
    Step 5: Fill in the user name / password fields.
    Step 6: Press the OK button.

I do not have any programming experience so the help files tend to go over my head at times.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-04-15

You can automate most things. If you can do it with just the keyboard and there are no long delays then it should be easy. Write down the keystrokes you require, substituting computer, username etc with KeePass placeholders. Then you can write it as an Auto-Type.

cheers, Paul

• Longhair

Longhair - 2014-04-15

I've been taking the trial by error approach with each error giving me a new term to search. It is slow going but I have made some progress.

This is where I am at so far.

For steps 1 to 3.

Edit Entry - Entry tab - URL:

cmd://mstsc.exe /v:<IP address="" or="" computer="" name="">

(Opens up the "Enter your credentials" window.)

For steps 4 to 6.

Edit Entry - Auto-Type tab

(check) Enable auto-type for this entry
    (check) Override default sequence: {DOWN}{USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}

(Fills in the "Use another account" with the username & password information.)

Is it possible to combine the two steps?

• Paul

Paul - 2014-04-16

No, you cannot combine launching a program and Auto-Type using just KeePass. You could try the KeeForm companion program KeeRun.

cheers, Paul

• john fender

john fender - 2015-02-04

Why can't ? It's stupid ! I would LOVE to only use one click to open a browser or an applicaton and be logged on !!!

• Longhair

Longhair - 2014-04-19

Is it possible to combine the two be creating a batch file or by using KPScript?

My goal is to expand it to the point it works with putty & RDP automatically after the master password is entered manually. If it means learning how to program, I am willing to take the time and do it.

• steelej

steelej - 2014-04-19

You can automate PuTTy if you use SSH protocol. This enables username and password to be entered via command line parameters. These can use references to the username and password fields in the KeePass record.

RDP does not seem to support command line entry of username and password therefore it would seem that this might have to be a two step process. [launch the RDP window using the URL field or a short cut and then use Global key to bring up the list of RDP sessions]

• Longhair

Longhair - 2014-04-19

After going though all the steps and writing them down and refined them a bit, I hope to make what I would like to accomplish sound more clear.

This is what I have in my head:

NOTE: "Hidden KeePass" is KeePass running without being seen by user unless specified.

Step 1: Start Idea.exe (non-existant program that I do not know how to make yet.)

Step 2: KeePass Enter Master Key window opens.

Step 3: Enter the master password / key file manually.

Step 4: "Hidden KeePass" automatically selects putty entry.

Step 5: "Hidden KeePass" clicks URL and logs into putty using "cmd://..\PuTTY.exe -load "Default Settings" -l {USERNAME} -pw {PASSWORD}"

Step 6: "Hidden KeePass automatically selects RDP entry.

Step 7: "Hidden KeePass" clicks URL to start remote desktop using "cmd://mstsc.exe \RDP\Default.rdp"

Step 8: Remote Desktop log in window opens.

Step 9: "Hidden KeePass" performs Auto-Type "{DOWN}{USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{ENTER}"

Step 10: "Hidden KeePass" exits.

I would like to learn how to do this myself but I don't know where to begin other than following some beginner C# programming tutorials.

Last edit: Longhair 2014-04-19
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-04-19

You can probably do this using the same mechanism as KeeRun, which is program it in AutoIt. This will allow you to pass the credentials from KeePass and then enter them in the required windows.
    To get started look at the source code for KeeRun.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks