Where are the keepass install options expl...

Help
3ICE
2012-10-18
2013-05-13
  • 3ICE

3ICE - 2012-10-18

Hi,

I don't know what half these things mean in "Select Components" during Setup:

• Core - Understandable

• Help Manual - Understandable

• Native Support Library - Needs to say more clearly that it's for opening old 1.x databases.

• XSL stylesheet for KDBX - Needs to tell me why I would ever want that. I probably don't.

• Optimize KeePass performance - Needs to detail how exactly that is done. I don't want no dlls loaded into my system on startup, but if it's harmless, I don't want to be left out. But optionally offered optimization always sounds dodgy. Makes me wonder why it isn't simply included in Core. Negative side effects?

• Optimize KeePass on-demand startup performance - Same as above. I need more information before I can decide whether I want it.

I'd appreciate if someone explained it to me, but what I'd love most is if the information was included in the installer, available for everyone else to see.

Thanks and sincerely,
    Daniel "3ICE" Berezvai

p.s.: For now I'll install it with everything checked, although I'm guessing Core and Help Manual would be enough. I don't think I need the rest.

• 3ICE

3ICE - 2012-10-18

Whoa, I'm seeing some broken tags up there. I can't edit my post to fix that, can I…

I blame the BBCode reference linked below the post form. It is either outdated or too new.

• Saiph

Saiph - 2013-04-07

I completely agree with the points made by Daniel. I am fed up with supposed "standalone" and "on-demand" applications which install software which starts up on Windows bootup. The usual excuse is "it's only small", but when you have 15-20 of these things all trying to run on startup, it cripples my machine. Does KeePass do this?

All of the KeePass installation options should be explained clearly, as part of the installer. For a more detailed explanation, the installer should provide a link to the KeePass website, where the options can be explained at length. The two "optimize" options should especially be explained, particularly if they can have negative impacts as Daniel says.

Edit: It's a little disappointing as well that Daniel's post has been on the forum for over five months and hasn't had any reply.

Edit2: Just created a KeePass ticket for this problem:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/support-requests/195/
    Fingers crossed! :-)

Last edit: Saiph 2013-04-07
  • Paul

Paul - 2013-04-09

This is not a problem, but I understand your concerns.
    KeePass is a very big piece of work by a very small team and the additional time it would take to document all of the possibilities cannot be justified for freeware, unless you want the developers to have no life at all.
    Support for KeePass is also free, but we do our best to answer all questions. Obviously we have a life and don't manage to to answer everything to everyone's satisfaction.

cheers, Paul

• Sagie

Sagie - 2013-04-14

I'm not one of the developers, but my understanding of the source code is as follows:

• "Optimize KeePass performance" calls ngen only once, as the installation concludes, to generate a platform-native image of the platform-indifferent CIL software. The upside is better performance. The downside is additional space being used.

• "Optimize KeePass on-demand startup performance" calls KeePass with the "--preload" argument every time the system or a session starts. The effects of this on system performance are unclear to me.

Personally, I'd do the former, but not the latter.

Regards, Sagie.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-05-13

The 2.x installation options are now explained in detail on the new Additional FAQ page:
    http://keepass.info/help/kb/faq.html

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Saiph

Saiph - 2013-05-13

Thank you Dominik and everyone else involved for updating and clarifying the KeePass installation information. I am now able to make much clearer choices about how best to install and use KeePass on my XP machine. Good job guys. :-)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks