Can't open KeePass data file after update to later version

Help
2014-05-05
2014-05-05
  • Darrell Peck

Darrell Peck - 2014-05-05

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST. BY RESTORING MY COMPUTER TO A TIME BEFORE I UPDATED KEEPASS, I WAS ABLE TO OPEN MY KEEPASS DATA FILE.

I came across a post from wellread1 re changing one's master password on KeePass. Unfortunately I had already messed up my Keepass by not doing it that way.

I opened my KeePass v.1.19 & changed the password. I didn't back up anything. Then I noticed that I had an old version & decided to update to v.1.27. In the process, I closed my KeePass. When the installation was complete, I tried to open KeePass again. I saw that I'd have to import my data file to the updated program. but that I'd have to use v.2.x to import. So I downloaded KeePass v.2.26 & installed that & opened it. It apparently was going to let me import the data file but it asked for the password. I tried both the new password I had created that day & the old one. Neither works. So I can't access my password file.

My original KeePass v.1.19 apparently was automatically deleted during the installation of the updates.

Can anyone suggest how I might retrieve my password data?

Last edit: Darrell Peck 2014-05-05
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-05

If you upgrade from 1.19 to 1.27 you do not need to import your database.

1. Open KeePass 1.27, if you are prompted for a Master Password press cancel.
    2. Once KeePass is open, verify that you are using KeePass 1.27 by Selecting 'Help>About KeePass' and check the version.
    3. If you are using KeePass 1.27 then select 'File>Open', navigate to your KeePass database (default extension .kdb) and open it. Enter your Master Password and if you used a key file select it. The database should open.

If you used the KeePass Installer then you can check which versions of KeePass are currently installed on your computer by checking your installed programs in Windows. By default the KeePass 2.x edition will not overwrite the KeePass 1.x edition, but upgrading within a particular edition (1.x or 2.x) will replace the earlier version of the particular edition.

Once you have established that you can open your 1.x database in KeePass 1.27 you can decide whether you want to switch to KeePass 2.x. You will need to import your database only once you decide to make that switch.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-05-05

Importing to V2 requires you to create a new V2 database, save the database, then select File > Import and the V1 database. You will be prompted for the V1 database password, not the V2 password. Once the import is successful, save the V2 database. Now you will only need your V2 password. Note: both passwords can be the same, it's up to you.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks