Redefining Custom Fields

Help
2017-01-10
2017-01-13
  • Matthew Farnsworth

Greetings.

I am using KeePass to generate a series of text strings that contains today's date and a future time that I choose. For example:
    Today is 2017-01-09 and I have a meeting from 09:00 to 10:00.
    Today is 2017-01-09 and I have a meeting from 11:00 to 12:00.
    * Today is 2017-01-09 and I have a meeting from 16:00 to 17:00.

Here is what I have so far for the Auto-Type:
    * Today is {DT_YEAR}-{DT_MONTH}-{DT_DAY} and I have a meeting from {S:Start} to {S:End}.

My problem is that I want to use the {PICKFIELD} feature to define what {S:Start} and {S:End} are. Is this possible?

Thanks.

• Paul

Paul - 2017-01-10

You need KeePass 2.35, released yesterday. Luckily you can use the pickchars pladeholder more than once in an Auto-Type sequence.
    Sequence: Today is {DT_YEAR}-{DT_MONTH}-{DT_DAY} and I have a meeting from {PICKFIELD} to {PICKFIELD}

cheers, Paul

• Matthew Farnsworth

@Paul: Thanks for a super fast response.

I had actually just found the {PICKFIELD} placeholder and I was wondering if it was possible to use the results of a {PICKFIELD} placeholder to define {S:Start} and {S:End}.

I am hoping to create a series of 12+ unique strings where {S:Start} and {S:End} are the same for each entry, but vary every time I execute the Auto-type.

Is there a way to tell KeePass that the value of {S:Start} = {PICKFIELD}?

Thanks again!

• Paul

Paul - 2017-01-12

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here. How do you propose varying the 12 unique strings when KeePass is running?
    If you want to enter the dates manually you can use the text box in a PICKCHARS window.

cheers, Paul

• Matthew Farnsworth

@Paul

I have a ton of custom fields that are being used to take care of the strings. I probably should have mentioned that this Auto-type will probably take about 2 full minutes to execute.

I have what basically equates to a programmer's Mad Lib. I have 12 unique strings of commands that need to be sent to another program and I have everything figured out except for the S:Start and S:End fields. These fields are going to be the same for all 12 strings but will need to vary every time the Auto-type is called. If KeePass cannot assign the value of one variable to the value of another placeholder, I will need to find an alternative method of calling these commands.

Since this is going to be used by people with very low technical proficiency. I'm hoping to make the process as simple as possible in the execution.

Thanks again for your help in figuring this out.

• Paul

Paul - 2017-01-13

I'm still not sure how this will work, can you explain it a little more?

You can use environment variables in Auto-Type, so you could run a program that sets environment variables to the required values before the Auto-Type.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks