Help
2016-02-16
2016-03-09
  • vighnaxmach

vighnaxmach - 2016-02-16

Dear Support,
    dear users,

My
    a) password profiles (this is hassle to recreate :-/ )
    b) list of recent open databases
    c) settings (typically, the timed lock settings)
    d) connection to KeeFox (had to be reestablished again by giving in a new code)

have been deleted unexpectedly and for the third time already in the last quorter.

Anybody experienced a similar issues, please?

KeePass v2.31 (kept up-to-date)
    KeeFox 1.5.4 (kept up-to-date)
    Firefox and Waterfox in multiple profiles and multiple computers (kept up-to-date)

Last edit: vighnaxmach 2016-02-16
  • Paul

Paul - 2016-02-16

KeePass stores all that information in KeePas.config.xml. For some reason you have deleted that file or changed the KeePass installation so that a the old one is not found.

Do you use KeePass installed or portable?

cheers, Paul

• vighnaxmach

vighnaxmach - 2016-02-23

Dear Paul,

it happened again today. I have not deleted any KeePass.config.xml not other settings folders. I located mine at c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\KeePass\KeePass.config.xml (for future reference), set up KeePass and copied the file to other location as a back-up (for future crash).

I see one thing only: I'll wait for the next crash, see what happened at the above mentioned location and report to the forum.

Last edit: vighnaxmach 2016-02-23
  • Paul

Paul - 2016-02-23

My config file is in the same place and I've not had any issues in years of using KeePass.

cheers, Paul

• jimjimmyjimjim

jimjimmyjimjim - 2016-02-26

I just experienced the same problem. I tried to open KeePas today and it couldn't find my database. I have a backup on Dropbox but when I tried to open it KeePas couldn't find the Key File. I searched for the xml file on my computer but it isn't there. I also searched for the data file and it is gone too. I never deleted anything and have no idea why everything is gone. I've been using KeePass for several years and when I got a new computer about 6 months ago I loaded the most recent version. I haven't had any problems until today. So, now I have lost all my passwords . . . banks, social networks, Amazon, everything.
    The whole point of using KeePas is to have a safe reliable place to store my many passwords. After this I'm inclined to delete the program and just write my passwords down someplace.

• jimjimmyjimjim

jimjimmyjimjim - 2016-02-26

A quick up date. . . The xml file is on the computer. It's in the KeePass directory. However, the data base is not on the computer, at least KeePass can't find it and the windows search can't find it either.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2016-02-26

where was the database supposed to be?

• vighnaxmach

vighnaxmach - 2016-02-26

Dear jimjimmyjimjim,

Could you check please, whether your settings have changed since then? E.g. have you lost password settings, have you lost other KeePass settings (typically lock times and triggers for locking), recently open database list. If not, I think your issue is not connected with the above mentioned.

I have my Key file located on several places. In terms of security, it's almost public -- well not so much, but: I have it on all my PCs here and there (Documents, Desktop), I have sent it to me by email, copied to the mobile phone. Of course, nowhere it's written that it is a Key file. It looks like a normal garbage text file. I have some old copies of the database also located on several other places. Key and DB are nowhere next to each other. The intruder would anyway have to make certain assumptions and make the right actions. So IMO, the solution is stronger that having a Password only. I came to this solution several years ago, when I lost my single and only DB.

Good luck,

Last edit: vighnaxmach 2016-02-26
  • vighnaxmach

vighnaxmach - 2016-02-26

Here is an update on the "lost settings" issue. After a crash of Firefox, KeePass required all of the above mentioned (establishing new connection to KeeFox, settings up a new DB,...) -- the setting has been lost.

Cleverly, I let a cloud service monitor the KeePass.config.xml file, so I downloaded the last file (large in size) and reused it. KeeFox still complained, but I've got all my other settings and lists (Password Generators) for KeePass back. Yippee!

• jimjimmyjimjim

jimjimmyjimjim - 2016-02-27

It turns out that my issue was not the same as yours. For some reason Keepass could not locate the Key file I created for my database.So, I was unable to open the database or the copies. After 6 months I had forgotten where the key file was stored or what the name was. When I started to create a new key file for a new database I realized I hadn't searched around for the default name. Eventually I found the original file which still had the default name. I'm not sure why Keepass couldn't locate the file in the first place, I didn't move it or rename it or change any of my directories.
    So, I've learned my lesson. From now on I will store the key file where I can find it if KeePass ever loses track of it again.

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2016-02-27

Just make sure you don't put the key file anywhere near your KeePass database - that's like keeping the key to your door under the doormat. It might be best to put it on a thumb drive so you can take it away when you're not using KeePass - but you should also keep another copy (preferably more than one) somewhere else, offline and accessible only to you, because if that file gets lost or damaged, there's no locksmith that can break in for you.

• vighnaxmach

vighnaxmach - 2016-03-09

I noticed that the deletition of the KeePass settings happens after the PC is turned off unexpectedly (no stutdown, but e.g. holding the power button several seconds). Well, I know this is not the suggested way of turning off the PC, but it is required sometimes and doesn't harm the OS or the hardware.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2016-03-09

The KeePass settings file (keepass.config.xml) is updated when KeePass closes.

• An orderly system shutdown on a modern OS should allow time for KeePass to update the settings properly, and in my experience does.
    • The settings file is resistant to system crashes because it is not kept open.
    • If a crash occurred at the exact instant that KeePass was writing the new settings file, the original could be lost and not replaced with the updated version, but this should be an exceeding rare occurance.

Remarks: You can backup the active keepass.config.xml file by making a copy of it at any time. KeePass must not be running when restoring the settings file.