Randomly generated security PIN

Help
Neil
2014-04-23
2014-04-24
  • Neil

Neil - 2014-04-23

Logging in to my banking site requires me to enter my username, answer a question and then enter a randomly generated four digit number that is sent to a small device in my possession, each time I log in.

The first two I can deal with but is there a way to enter the third requirement into KeePass?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-04-24

KeePass cannot read a value to be used in auto-type from a device.

A device that can act as a USB keyboard can send keystrokes directly to a window such as a webpage. If your bank device does this, then KeePass does not need to mediate the process. It sounds like your bank device just displays the 4-digit number.

If you can obtain the 4 digit number prior to starting the login, it might be convenient to enter the 4 digit number by hand at the beginning of the auto-type using the {PICKCHARS:Fld:Opt} placeholder and a custom String Field. e.g.

1. Create a custom Sting Field: 'RandomNumber' containing all digits: '1234567890'
    2. Create an auto-type sequence using {PICKCHARS:RandomNumber:C=4} e.g.
      {USERNAME}{TAB}{PASSWORD}{TAB}{PICKCHARS:RandomNumber:C=4}{ENTER}

The above auto-type would prompt for the four digit number. After you enter the 4 digits it would type:

username TAB password TAB 4-digit-number ENTER

Last edit: wellread1 2014-04-24
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-04-24

Very nice use of pickchars with a remote component.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-04-24

PICKCHARS can be handy in the right situation. A useability enhancement could be realized by opening the dialog with the cursor in the word input field rather than the CANCEL button.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-04-24

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks