UAC sound does not play

Help
screeno
2013-04-05
2013-04-05
  • screeno

screeno - 2013-04-05

Running v2.21 on XP as Admin. Despite having the option checked to 'Play UAC sound when switching to secure desktop', no sound plays. It used to play, but has stopped. My concern is that not hearing the sound means KeePass has not switched to secure desktop, and I should not then be entering my master password. Is this a valid concern? The GUI darkens, and that seems like an indicator that KeePass has switched to secure desktop, but like I say, no sound (and I wait a couple of minutes).

I'll note that the sound plays fine on two W7 desktops.

Any assistance would be appreciated. TY

• Paul

Paul - 2013-04-05

Maybe your default UAC sound is missing.
    Control Panel > Hardware and Sounds > Sounds > Windows > Windows User Account Control.

cheers, Paul

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-04-05

UAC is a feature of Windows Vista and higher. Windows XP does not have UAC (and thus no UAC sound).

Best regards,
    Dominik

• screeno

screeno - 2013-04-05

Hello Dominik,
      That makes perfect sense, but let me ask you this...
      I am pretty sure that I used to hear that tone sound on XP machines that would indicate that KeePass had entered secure desktop. As I recall, I would always wait for that tone until it was 'safe' to enter my master password. I have only been running KeePass for about 1 1/2 years (started with v2.1.6, I believe), however at that time I did not have any W7 computers, so it was all XP... and I would bet money there was a sound when switching to secure desktop.
      So, two questions, please Dominik.
      Am I remembering wrong/imagining things?
      And, am I misunderstanding the purpose of the UAC sound that it means it is safe to enter data?
      TY once again for assistance (and of course for KeePass!).

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-04-05

The sound is just one of the indicators that you're now on the secure desktop. Another indicator is e.g. the dimmed background. Having no sound on an XP system does not make the secure desktop less secure.

Maybe some application on your PC has installed the UAC sound, but a 'normal' XP system does not have an UAC sound.

If you want KeePass to play a sound on your XP system when switching to the secure desktop, take a WAV file of your choice and put it here:
    %SystemRoot%\Media\Windows User Account Control.wav
    (where %SystemRoot% is usually C:\Windows).

Best regards,
    Dominik

• screeno

screeno - 2013-04-05

Thanks very much for the helpful replies and patience with what must sound like very dumb questions. :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks