Stop Auto Type Immediately

Help
MKR
2014-07-15
2014-09-09
  • MKR

MKR - 2014-07-15

I use Keepass for the best.

Now when I use the autotype feature, it usually simulates keypresses(can anybody differentiate between the actual keypress and simulated keypress i wonder?). Right !!. When I am supposed to enter text into textfields such as comment boxes or notepad or any other place where I want the autotype feature to simulate text entered in either fields like notes,etc in the Entry Dialog box.

Now when I use the autotype feature using global key or other usual ways, it does starts doing its job. But what if the content entered in the notes field of the entry is too long. It obviously would take time to autotype the whole contents.

How can I stop the Autotyping process immediately whenever i wish before completion? Also whenever I change the active window, it is still typing in the same background window.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-07-15

You cannot stop Auto-Type manually. You can have it stop when the focus changes, Tools > Options > Advanced, Auto-Type.

cheers, Paul

• MKR

MKR - 2014-07-16

Paul, MAN... you are the best!!! U SAVED MY DAY!!

The thing worked. Should it be taken as a suggestion for the future versions, to let the auto-type pause or stop when desired i.e., with a separate alert box, buttons or something?

More to ask, can I know what is the difference between simulated keypress and actual keypress? I mean in their internal functioning!
    When the autotype is finished doing its job, can it be tracked back whether the typed characters were actually typed or simulated.

I once again thank you a lot!!

• Paul

Paul - 2014-07-17

Auto-Type types so fast it's really only possible to stop it programatically, we are too slow.

KeePass uses the .NET sendkeys function, which is meant to look just like you hitting the keys. TCATO uses sendkeys and paste to enter the password. More details of sendkeys can be found on the Microsoft site.

cheers, Paul

• MKR

MKR - 2014-07-20

Got it Paul!

What about the tracking part...?

I had one more thing to know. How can I print the content of the attachments(maybe what is its use?) through autotype? Is it possible?

Keep upto good work! Cheers!

Last edit: MKR 2014-07-20
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-07-20

All characters are sent the same way unless using TCATO, so it is pointless to track.
    Attachments can be opened and view - securely in most cases - and contents can be copied from there, but there is no Auto-Type action for them.

cheers, Paul

• MKR

MKR - 2014-07-24

That's OK.

So I guess attachments can be just stored, just as files are kept in a safe.

I have also observed something peculiar in some windows, when using auto-type. While auto-typing the cursor moves at high speed, but it leaves blank spaces as trails. But after a few moments, the text which was meant to be typed appears suddenly, maybe a kind of lag. What exactly is going on?

Cheers to paul.

• Glenn

Glenn - 2014-07-24

You could always slow it down with a delay.

Last edit: Glenn 2014-07-24
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-07-24

You may be using TCATO. This enters some characters, then moves the cursor and pastes the missing characters.

cheers, Paul

• MKR

MKR - 2014-07-25

Paul, I know about the TCATO(two flat intertwining combs), but I do not use that while causing the delay, also I am not using the delay command.

And Glenn there is already a delay while I am using the auto-type, but anyway thank you for letting me know about the delay feature, as you can control the speed of AT as if it were human like speed. Am I correct?

• Glenn

Glenn - 2014-07-25

Yes, you can set the delay to whatever speed you want. It sounds like it's a browser lag issue. Maybe too many extensions or something with your specific computer?

• MKR

MKR - 2014-07-29

Glenn, I am using the auto type in notepad. So browser or plugins/extensions are not a big issue here. When I write a para in the notes section of the entry dialog box and then autotype the content in a notepad file/flash file, there is a lag in it. Also it is the same for every computer on which I have worked so far. Paul! what do you think?

• Paul

Paul - 2014-07-30

What sort of delay? Does typing start after a few seconds or is there an inter-character delay?
    How do you start the Auto-Type?

cheers, Paul

• Glenn

Glenn - 2014-08-02

It sounds like his computer is buffering the characters because he says they do type correctly, just with lag.

• MKR

MKR - 2014-09-08

@Paul, there is an character delay. Let me get through an example:

'123456789'"123456789"

This is what I need to type I suppose.
    Then when it starts auto typing(I put this text in the notes section and just add the notes section to be printed using {NOTES} when global or special key for autotype is activated), the characters from '1...9' are typed but in the first >=1 second it is not visible. But as soon as the cursor reaches the next set of "1...9", the previous text appears altogether and so on. That is where is the delay and is more prominent when the autotype is doing its job over large paragraphs.

@glenn, ya you can put it that way, but I don't know whether that is the one taking place. I have also got a complaint from my friend that when this is done in a software with copy and paste disabilities, they tend to leave garbage value and bugs.

I think you guys may be onto something.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-09-09

I can't replicate the lag. Are you sure you don't have a keyboard / clipboard manager installed?

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks