Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

URL open & password automation?

Help
2013-03-13
2013-03-13
  • Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin - 2013-03-13

[NOTE: Sorry if this has already been discussed. I did look a little bit, but didn't find it yet.]

I recall a tool that I used a few years ago named Roboform2Go. This tool kept passwords for various sites, etc, and when I wanted to use one of them, all I have to do was to select it from my list in the app, and it would do everything....open the associated URL, enter the username and password in to the correct fields, and log me in to whichever place it was that I needed to go to.

In KeePass, I do see a few things that seem like they might be used to accomplish this, and I have indeed played around with it a little, but I'm just not sure.

Can this be done and I'm just missing something, or is it just not possible yet?

Thanks.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-03-13

By design, KeePass does not integrate with applications or browsers, which would be required to provide form filling capabilities. It does include a powerful auto-type feature that is convenient, while providing maximum user control.

If you prefer KeePass to form fill, several form fillers for KeePass are available in the Integration and Transfer section of the plugin page.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-03-13

To use Auto-Type there is a help page with examples at the bottom.
    http://keepass.info/help/base/autotype.html

cheers, Paul

• Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin - 2013-03-13

OK, cool. Thanks, guys.
    With all the hoops I've gone through so far to get this thing set up (and syncing with my Google Drive account, and on my phone, and everything else), I think I will skip yet one more plug-in and go with Roboform for my needs this time around instead. Yes, I will pay for it, and that's my choice.

I don't see anything wrong with Keepass whatsoever, and won't even talk bad about it like it 'lacks' this or that.

I do actually like it, but I'm also working toward something that I can help my elderly folks use, and I think all of this may just be too much to manage long-distance for them, and it would be easier to use something that's more polished and 'all-in-one'.

Thanks for your responses on this question.
    I really appreciate the community here, and all the work that goes into making Keepass such a great tool.