On create new database, with export function, new password directly demand

Help
FAUSTO
2014-04-27
2015-03-25
  • FAUSTO

FAUSTO - 2014-04-27

Dear programmers, in KeePass v2.xx is possible one new function on export database when create new encrypted file? When I create export database, KeePass not demand directly if I intend use any new password or the master password. In the old version of KeePass (v1.xx) this function was present. In the last version of KeePass (v2.xx), the new exported database file encrypted is created with master password only and is not possible create with any new password (different from master password). Many thanks for my problem and congratulation for your product, very good and stable.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-04-27

...the new exported database file encrypted is created with master password only and is not possible create with any new password (different from master password).

To change the Master Key of a database (e.g. master password), open the database & select File>Change File Master Key...

When I create export database, KeePass not demand directly if I intend use any new password or the master password.

It is safer to change and verify the Master Key independent of any other actions. It is much harder to debug a problem that occurs when the Master Key is changed at the same time as an export (or for that matter in combination with any other action).

Why would you like the two actions combined?

Last edit: wellread1 2014-04-27
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-05-01

Changing the master password on export makes sense if you are exporting a subset of passwords, for a client etc. If you have to then open the database to change the password you may have an issue with the "last opened database".

cheers, Paul

• FAUSTO

FAUSTO - 2015-03-25

Dear programmer, Paul have centered the finality 100%.

This feature is much important for exporting an part of the database only, an subset only for an new client.

The procedure for changing the master password, on exporting all the database, is ok like in this time.

But for exporting one part only, for new person, is important the possibility of change on the fly with new password and skip the double passage.

Is possible this feature in new version of KeePass v2.29?
    Many thanks for your interest to my problem.

Bye.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks