KeePass 2.18 & IOProtocolExt 1.5 problem

Help
2012-03-06
2016-11-15
  • Antti Taimisto

Antti Taimisto - 2012-03-06

Something has changed between KeePass 2.17 and 2.18 that causes problems with using a password database on a remote host via a secure connection (IOProtocolExt). This (reportedly) works in 2.17+IOProtocolExt 1.5, but not in 2.18. The SCP programs supplied with IOProtocolExt can connect fine on their own, as can Putty, and this happens with or without a firewall on. When attempting to open a SCP or SFTP URL (scp://host:port/path/to/database.kdbx), KeePass always fails with the following message:

An exception occurred during a WebClient request.
    Searching for host…
    Connecting to host…
    Authenticating…
    Using username "<username>"
    Authenticating with pre-entered password.
    Access denied.
    Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status 0.

Server logs show that the server thinks the password is incorrect (it isn't - the other programs use it just fine). Maybe a problem with sending the password to SCP? I've tested this on two computers (Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit) and with two different servers (running different versions of SSH server). The .NET framework is the newest available in Windows Update (4.0.3, I think), if that matters.

Any ideas? Is anyone else seeing this?

• Antti Taimisto

Antti Taimisto - 2012-03-06

Aaaaand let me answer myself, it's a bug in IOProtocolExt. The WinSCP manual (http://winscp.net/eng/docs/session_url) says that, when using the "protocol://user:password@host" syntax, special characters (space, +, %, /, @) in the password need to be encoded (with the %xx syntax, where xx is their ASCII code, / becomes %2F etc.). Apparently IOProtocolExt does not do this, so the password it has SCP send to the server gets garbled.

Temporary solution: Do not use those characters in your password.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2012-03-06

Thanks for the analysis! I've now added support for user names and passwords containing special characters.

The latest IOProtocolExt version (1.6) is available from the KeePass plugins page:
    http://keepass.info/plugins.html#ioprotocolext

Best regards
    Dominik

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks