destroyed keypass-installation - looking for help

Help
2013-06-03
2013-06-03
  • Elmar Quirmbach

Elmar Quirmbach - 2013-06-03

Hi - i got a big problem yesterday when my usb-stick was demaged physically. The keypass-installation is/was on it.
    I tried to manage that by opening the *key file but it seems to be damaged?!
    I'm always getting that information:
    0x0000000D Invalid File Signature Yes The file's signature is invalid. This means that the file is corrupted and/or not a file that KeePass can read.
    What can I still do now?

• Paul

Paul - 2013-06-03

I assume you have the database on your computer and the key file on the USB.
    If you can't read the key file or it is damaged you will need to restore the backup of your key file.

cheers, Paul

• Elmar Quirmbach

Paul, thank you for taking contact to me. You're right - I have the database on my computer and I lost the key-file with the crash on my USB. How am I able to restore the backup of my key-file?

• Elmar Quirmbach

Paul - sorry to ask you again, do you have a proposal how I might restore the backup of my key-file?

• Paul

Paul - 2013-06-03

My suggestion assumed you have the key file backed up / copied somewhere that was not on your USB. KeePass doesn't do this, it is up to you to do all backups.

Can you copy the key file from the USB? If so put it somewhere temporary on your hard disk and then open it with Notepad to see if it looks like a key file - it should look a bit like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <KeyFile>
    <Meta>
        <Version>1.00</Version>
    </Meta>
    <Key>
        <Data>IUYxeKoxwIwgRtgKrINiKkV4w5tD7B3oTHnRMJG+HAA=</Data>
    </Key>
      </KeyFile>

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks