Cant get Keepass to run from USB

Help
Savini
2013-07-03
2013-07-05
  • Savini

Savini - 2013-07-03

I currently have Keepass on my work PC and my home (Two different databases).
    I wanted to copy my work file and key to a USB and be able to move it to the home PC or open it from the USB on any computer.
    The USB is encrypted with Dell Encryption from my office (required).
    When I try to open the files on my work computer from the USB, everything is fine. But when I try to open it on any other machines, It comes back saying the file is corrupted.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Leonard

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-07-04

What is the complete error message?

• Savini

Savini - 2013-07-04

"Failed to load the specified file!
    The file signature is invalid!
    Either the file isn't a keepass database file at all or it is corrupted."

Last edit: Savini 2013-07-04
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-07-04

That message indicates the KeePass database file is damaged or the wrong file altogether.

Test for a damaged file by trying a new USB key, or if that does not work try moving the database file to the affected computer via an alternate route (e.g. via Dropbox, or as an email attachment) or on different media (e.g. CD).

Test for wrong file type by checking the file is .kdbx file, and open the particular file on anther computer.

• Savini

Savini - 2013-07-04

I can open the file on my work computer with the keepass.exe that is on the hard drive (not the one on the USB).If I put it in another laptop (non work), it gets the same error. I tried emailing them both to my home computer and opening. But I get the same error.
      Any further ideas? Why would it work on the work laptop?

• steelej

steelej - 2013-07-04

The USB is encrypted with Dell Encryption from my office (required).
    When I try to open the files on my work computer from the USB, everything is fine. But when I try to open it on any other machines, It comes back saying the file is corrupted.

If the USB is encrypted you will not be able to open any files on it without the key to unlock the USB drive. The same would apply to any file.

• Savini

Savini - 2013-07-05

Bingo!
    steelej you were right. The files appeared to be getting unencrypted, but they weren't.
    Thanks. It is working now.
    Thanks to everyone.