KeePass 4 Mac - autotype, copy/paste broken

Help
2012-03-10
2012-11-19
  • Display Name

Display Name - 2012-03-10

I'm on OS X 10.6.8 using Keepass 2.18.  I also have Keepass installed on a Win7 machine at work and am sharing the database via dropbox.  I'm moving from LastPass to Keepass and havent had any problems with it on Win7 or on my android phone. 

However, on my mac I cannot use autotype nor can I copy/paste into or out of keepass.  Command-V simply enters a 'v' in Keepass.  If I try to copy a user name/pswrd out of keepass it doesn't work.  Plus, none of the columns can be resized.  Is this due to the 'mono' bug or is this unrelated behavior?

Any/all help is most appreciated as my alternative is to downgrade to Keepass1.x and install KeepassX on mac, which works great.

Thanks in advance
    Brett

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2012-03-10

The clipboard functions don't work on Mac OS X due to Mono bugs. I've already implemented a workaround for KeePass 2.19. Here's the latest development snapshot for testing, if you want:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_120310.zip

For auto-type on Mac OS X, you need the xdotool package. This is documented on
    http://keepass.info/help/v2/setup.html#mono

Columns are drawn/handled by Mono; so if resizing doesn't work, this is a Mono bug.

Best regards
    Dominik

• John

John - 2012-05-05

I tried to get the KeePass_120310.zip but no luck. Can you please give a new link that works? Many thanks.

I cannot follow the XDOTOOL instructions - just not savvy - not a developer type. Can you point to any step-by-step instructions to get XDOTOOL running. I hope the right-mouse-click brings up the menu to used the advanced-fields and autotype, etc.

Also, would the latest Mono 2.11.1 Beta fix the OSX clipboard problem?

Many Many thanks!!
    John

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2012-05-05

KeePass 2.19 has been released, which is newer than the 120310 development snapshot (thus 120310 was deleted after 2.19 was released; I won't upload it again). Please try KeePass 2.19.

Best regards
    Dominik

• John

John - 2012-05-05

Dominik,
    This sounds very promising, but I'm pretty dense. There is only a download package for Mac OSX with KeePass 2.18.
    If I get 2.19, I would have to do the MacPorts and XDOTOOL and MONO trick, and then write a "script" so my wife could use KeePass 2.19 on the Mac the same way it works on the PC. Right? This is way beyond me.These sites probably work great for coders, but they are too hard for me to follow. But if you could give me some step by step instructions, or point me to a new 2.19 Mac package, I would really appreciate it.
    Many Many thanks!
    John

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2012-05-05

The maintainer of the Mac package is already working on an update.

• Paul

Paul - 2012-05-06

You can install 2.18 and then copy the 2.19 executable over the top of the 2.18 executable.

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-05-14

Hi Hi Hi,

bad news… with 2.19 .exe (over 2.18 installation) it's still not working on Mac…. :(

• Paul

Paul - 2012-05-14

Have you loaded xdotool as referenced in post 2 above?

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-05-14

Hmm, there is no info that I need xdotool to be able to use clipboard… As I understand it, I need xdotool if I want to use global autotype…. Is it correct? or do I need that xdotool for clipboard function too?

PJ

• John

John - 2012-05-14

Dominic, Paul,
    Ureka. Your 2.19 is on the path to copy paste working on the MAC via Mono! Your button to copy the username, and your button to copy the password works now!!!   If you could just add two more buttons… One that does the "auto-type", and the other that would list the "advanced fields" and let you copy those the same way you have these first two buttons working. So even though copy-paste does not work directly (e.g. highlighting and cntrl-C cntrl-V), adding these two buttons would accomplish everything needed to use the KeePass 2.x database (which I have linked via dropbox on my phone and several PCs) on my MAC! Thanks for all your good work!
    John

• Anonymous - 2012-09-16

Where's the link to KeePass 2.20 for Mac?  The link off the Keepass page leads to http://keepass2.openix.be/ which only offers 2.18!

• Paul

Paul - 2012-09-16

KeePass for Mac is not produced by the KeePass author. If you want to use KeePass V2.20 you need to run it under Mono.

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-09-16

That page needs to be updated to clearly tell people to not bother with the Mac download then.