Same Keepass version on more than one PC

Help
Anonymous
2012-07-10
2012-11-19
  • Anonymous - 2012-07-10

I have Keepass 1.1 installed on two computers with the same password. Is it possible to synchronize the database.kdb whenever changes or additions are made to one or the other. 

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-07-11

KeePass 1.x does not have synchronization capabilities.

KeePass 2.x has synchronization capabilities that can be used to synchronize multiple identical databases via a computer network or a cloud service such as Dropbox or SkyDrive.  See http://keepass.info/help/v2/sync.html

-wellread1

• Anonymous - 2012-07-11

Thank you for the reply.

When I save a change or added entry on one machine, I then copy the database.kdb file from this to a usb drive and overwrite the one on the other machine. Although the overwrite is successful, the changes are not there. So this procedure is not possible?

If I were to install KeePass 2.x as you suggest, what are the steps required to transfer my current database to the new version? I would appreciate your advice on this.

• Anonymous - 2012-07-11

Well, you can manually sync KeePass databases through Dropbox or any other storage medium, obviously, but it doesn't have a feature for automagically doing it when you revise and save a database.

• Anonymous - 2012-07-11

Erratum: That should be "KeePass 1.x databases"

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-07-11

To transfer a KeePass 1.x database into KeePass 2.x, Using KeePass 2.x create an empty KeePass 2.x database.  From the File->Import menu select Import KeePass KDB (1.x).  Save the resultant KeePass 2.x .kdbx file.

RE: Syncing KeePass 1.x via Dropbox.  Dropbox synchronization is a method for distributing the most recently modified version of a file to all sites.  Dropbox does not merge simultaneously changed files.  Instead it creates "conflicted copies". To achieve seamless synchronization of a KeePass database, it is necessary to sensibly incorporate changes made to multiple copies of the KeePasss database that were open and modified on different sites at the same time.  KeePass 2.x synchronization can be configured to accomplish this over Dropbox.

-wellread1

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-07-11

KeePass 2.x requires Microsoft .NET framework >= 2.0.  Vista and Windows 7 have the necessary .NET version installed by default,  XP may require the user to update .NET.

-wellread1

• Anonymous - 2012-07-12

KeePass 2.x synchronization can be configured to accomplish this over Dropbox.

Thank you again, wellread. I believe that Keepass 2.x can also synchronize databases over networked computers running the same version. I am totally confused about how to configure it to achieve this (in windows). Could you please help me out by  explaining the procedure in step format.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-07-12

Implementation depends on the specific environment and user needs. 

On a network file server it may only be necessary to locate the .kdbx file on the file server.  Whenever the user attempts to save KeePass 2.x checks to see if changes have been made by other users.  If so it will give the current user the option to synchronize.

A more elaborate manual method that eliminates the user dialogs, and that works on a file server, with a "central" usb key, or with dropbox, is to use a local database for everyday use and, on a regular basis,  manually synchronize (File->Synchronize->Synchronize with file…) with the central database.  This synchronization retrieves all changes made to the central database and updates it with any changes you have made. 

The manual procedure above can be automated by using a trigger to synchronize on events such as database open or close.  An example is given at http://keepass.info/help/kb/kb091127_trigger_examples.html#dbsync.

-wellread1

• Paul

Paul - 2012-07-12

You can sort of sync V1 databases. File > Import from > KeePass Database. It's only one way and you would then need to copy the master database back over the imported one.

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-07-14

You can sort of sync V1 databases. File > Import from > KeePass Database. It's only one way and you would then need to copy the master database back over the imported one. cheers, Paul

Thank you for your feedback Paul.

Let me see if I understand the above.

1. PC 'A' and PC 'B' have identical v1 databases and are on the same local network.
    2. A change or a new entry is made on PC 'A' database.
    3. In KeePass on PC 'B', import from the changed database on PC 'A' across the network and copy it over itself.

Am I right so far?

Claude

• Paul

Paul - 2012-07-14

3. In KeePass on PC 'B', import from the changed database on PC 'A' across the network.
    4. Copy the database from PC 'B' to PC 'A'.

It's not the best but it does work.

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-07-15

4. Copy the database from PC 'B' to PC 'A'.

Paul, why is this step necessary since the database on PC 'A' is already current? After all, an import from it was just completed in step 3.

cheers, Claude

• Paul

Paul - 2012-07-15

If you have changed any entries in the database on PC B you need to send them to PC A. Sync in V2 does that automatically.

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-07-15

In my case, only the database on PC 'A' is and will always be the master database as it is my main PC. But I understand that if I ever made any changes to PC 'B' that the procedure would have to be reversed. Right?

Cheers, Claude  

• develop1

develop1 - 2012-07-16

thefrogman: The answer is no you would not.  The reason why is  when Keepass performs a sync both the local and remote .kdbx file are open for write. Keepass performs a 2way  record level sync .  any new records from either database is added to the other.  any updated records on either side is appled to the other. if the same recored is updated on both ends, the more recent update wins, any records which were deleted from one side will be deleted from the other.  When the sync is complete both .kdbx files contain the same records.

• Anonymous - 2012-07-16

develop1:  I am running KeePass v1.x which does not support synchronization. Hence, the request for advice on a way to achieve a similar result without having to upgrade to v2.x.  Thanks for your interest.

• Paul

Paul - 2012-07-16

Right!

cheers, Paul

• Colin McLean

Colin McLean - 2012-11-11

Hi all - had a major fright when I saw that a change I made on Keepass yesterday on one PC was reflected in Keepass on a second PC today.
    I really thought I had lost my mind and must have got up in the night and made the change on the second PC in my sleep.
    I am very happy that this works but I have no ideas how this has been achieved - the PC's are on the same local network but looking at the synch discussions it seems one has to manually force a synch or at least set this up somehow?
    Does anyone know that it is the default position that if PC's on the same network with same local filename willsynch "automatically" - I am running the latest version of 2.0 - any advice welcome ?

• Paul

Paul - 2012-11-12

Sync is both manual and automatic.
    I suspect you are opening the same file on both computers, in which case sync is automatic. KeePass sees that the file has changed whilst in use and performs a sync.
    http://keepass.info/help/base/multiuser.html#syncorsave2x

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks