Import (or copy) entries from Keepass on computer to Keepass portable

Help
jfh
2014-07-03
2014-07-03
  • jfh

jfh - 2014-07-03

I have installed Keepass on my computer,and have downloaded Keepass Portable in Portable Apps. I'd now like to import the database from computer to portable version. The KeePass window on my computer is entitled "Database 1.kdbx -KeePass", but I can't find any file on my computer with the .kdbx extension. Is there any way to import the entries I have made in the computer version of Keepass into the portable version? Or do I have to copy all those entries all over again?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-03

To see the full path to Database 1.kdbx look at the Most Recent file list on the KeePass menu 'File>Open recent'. The path to the currently open databases will be colored blue and have [Opened] appended to the end. This should be sufficient to find the database location.

You don't need to import the database. Once you have found your database, copy it to the location you want to open it from with your portable version of KeePass.

• jfh

jfh - 2014-07-03

Thanks - that did help me find the .kdbx file. However, I don't understand this phrase "copy it to the location you want to open it from".
    Perhaps I just don't understand how the portable version works. Does this mean that the database is not located in, or with, the portable version, but that it will have to reside on the computer and the portable version opens it from there? Maybe I'm just dense, but I would appreciate some further explanation.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-03

Your password database is a file containing user data (usernames & passwords etc...) that you open with KeePass. Just like other documents (e.g. a .txt file), you can copy it to whatever location you choose. Since it is a user document I suggest you copy to a location with other user documents such as .../My Documents/KeePass/

Start your portable copy of KeePass, cancel any dialogs that occur, then use File>Open and browse to Database 1.kdbx, select it, and supply the correct Master Key. Assuming your Master Key is a master password only, that is all there is to it.

Notes:
    If your Master Key includes a key file you will need it as well.
    If you linked the database to a Windows User Account then you will need to unlink it before you can open the database in a different Windows User Account.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-07-03
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-07-03

There is no need to use the Portable Apps version of KeePass. KeePass is completely portable without any help, just unzip the portable download from the KeePass site to whatever directory / USB / hard disk you want.

cheers, Paul