FTP backup

Help
Txomin
2013-08-14
2013-08-16
  • Txomin

Txomin - 2013-08-14

I have to first apologize for my stupidity. I've tried all I know and it is not enough. Sorry.

I want KeePass to make a backup copy of my database through FTP. My university has given me essentially the following data and I can use the account no problem with Filezilla:

Host: www2.university.edu
    User: thisidiot
    Password: whatever
    Default remote directory: /home/thisidiot/backup/

With KeePass, though, egg on my face. I've tried the export command but all I get is "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object". To be fair, the example says [ftp://ftp.someserver.com/pub/MyDatabase.kdbx] and I don't even know how to build that URL correctly with my data. I've tried every combination I can think of but it doesn't work.

I think the ideal solution would be a trigger so that the backup though FTP would happen after saving changes to the database but that stuff is voodoo to me.

Thank you all in advance and especially to Dominik for developing KeePass and making it available for free.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-08-14

We're all stupid at some time. :)

Try File > Save As > Save to URL. Then you can add your credentials.

cheers, Paul

• Txomin

Txomin - 2013-08-14

I tried that. The question is, what is my URL? Can you put one together with the example data I posted above. That's what I got.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-08-14

The standard syntax for FTP URLs is documented in Wikipedia. See if you can generate a login prompt (and successfully login) using your browser with syntax such as:

ftp://www2.university.edu/mydirectorypath/mydatabase.kdbx

If you can't, then you may need to talk to your system admin or another user to determine the correct URL.

• Txomin

Txomin - 2013-08-16

No luck. I'll talk to tech. Thank you for taking the time to help me out guys.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks