turn off entropy checker or its a bug

Help
liam
2013-10-03
2013-10-06
  • liam

liam - 2013-10-03

there mite be a bug in the newer version of keepass below (thin its related to entropy chekcer)

is there a way to turn off entropy checker, as the new version makes it annoying to generate passwords longer than 500 as it adds a 5-10 sec delay before it shows the password, in the older version of keepass (v1 as i do not like V2 layout) i had 0 issues making silly long passwords and it would nearly instantly generate a password, now if i generate a 1024 password and then start to lower the word count every time i press it there is a 1-4 sec delay (set it to 2000 takes more then 10 seconds), i did a test in the past with Disqus and made a 10,000 char password and it accepted it :) (my blackberry and android phone would freak out when i tried to even view that thought, so i lowered it a bit) but the point is the 10k password was not bogging down keepass when it was been generated

what it looks like its doing is a entropy check every time a option is edited, (like numbers or even the tick boxes makes the keepass lock up)

if it is the entropy or just someone made a mistake that makes it check every box as well as what's in the generated password box

the only other fix i could suggest is once your past 256 letters do not do entropy check beyond 256 as at that point its way to long any way

also noticed that sourceforge limits to 32 chars on the password (still that is way long enough any way)

i am 11 years old on sourceforge most likely one of my oldest accounts this is

Last edit: liam 2013-10-03
  • Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-10-06

I think it's even better to compute the password quality estimations in separate threads. This way the UI stays responsive and the estimation is shown when it's ready. I've implemented this now for KeePass 2.x (I won't implement it for 1.x).

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_131006.zip

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks