title vs url

Help
2005-12-08
2012-11-19
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Is there any way to compare urls instead of titles?

Auto-Type:{url} will still compare the url text to the title of the active window, so this is not what I want.

The problem i have is that many sites may have multiple pages from which you can login but each of those pages may have a completely different title. So, there is no way to be able to log in (via global hot key) from all those pages with only a single record in keepass.

Instead I could use wildcards with urls to have a unique record that would match with all those pages. Eg:

forum.kithara.gr
    portal.kithara.gr

*.kithara.gr* would match both pages but there is no way to match both titles.

ideas?

-Nick

• Paul

Paul - 2005-12-08

I think KeeForm will work here, but it does seem to be IE specific.

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

Keeform is not a solution because Keeform opens a specific URL which is defined explicitly in each record of the keepass database and which cannot contain wildcards.

If i want to be able to open http://forum.kithara.gr via keeform I would have to create a record which would pass "forum.kithara.gr" as a command line parameter to keeform. If I want to be able to open http://portal.kithara.gr I would have to create another record which would pass "portal.kithara.gr" as a command line parameter to keeform. Thus, for multiple URLs of the same domain you need to have multiple records in the database. This is certainly impractical. Wildcards or regular expressions would be of course a much better approach.

Of course the solution would be to always login through the same page but that restricts you so much and defeats the purpose of using favorites.

The problem, as I see it, is that the global auto-type function is based on different titles, while internet navigation is obviously based on different URLs. However, obtaining the window title of an application is browser independent  while obtaining the URL of the active page of a browser would be browser specific.

I don't know if there is any work around.

All suggestions are welcomed! :|

-Nick

• Paul

Paul - 2005-12-09

Multiple title match may be the answer - titles separated by commas in the one record?

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

regarding
      "Thus, for multiple URLs of the same domain you need to have multiple records in the database. This is certainly impractical. Wildcards or regular expressions would be of course a much better approach. "

But you must have the entries somewhere, right?

Most likely you store them in your favorites?

Instead of clicking on one of your multiple entries in your favorites, why don't use multiple entries in Keepass (a different place where you store your "login" favorites)?

• Nobody/Anonymous

It is just not that simple.

Not all of the entries are stored in favorites. Since I usually use Maxthon as a browser, I have entries in groups too. But let's ignore groups. The most important thing is that I have entries as "Maxthon URL Aliases" and "Maxthon Quicksearch Items".

I usually add the main page of a forum or site to favorites. However, the search engines I use are added as QuickSearch entries. This is a general rule I follow. Now, a url from the favorites will open the main page of a site while url-aliases and Quicksearches will open pages within that site - and there is a solid chance that those pages will not have the same title (not even close) with the main page. But they do ask for the same login info.

The paradox it that sites I login frequently (so i need info from keepass) are the those which usually have search engines too, so they exist as both favorite and Quicksearch entries. Amazon and e-bay are good examples. Amazon is added as a favorite entry(amazon.co.uk) and as quicksearch entries to find books, cds, wishlist items etc. E-bay is added as a favorite entry and also as a quicksearch entry to find items in auctions etc. You can easily verify that all pages from amazon.co.uk have a title that starts with "amazon.co.uk". But you can also easily imagine that this does not apply to many other sites and fora - including e-banking sites where keepass comes handy. Also, any forum is also a good example as it usually has both a news page and a search engine.

As you can understand, my address bar operates just like a internet command prompt. To find a book, I type "findbook", to find an auction I type "findauction" etc. I will change this "logical system" to something else based on keepass only after I am very sure that keepass is reliable and most importantly totally "mouse free".

Currently I do believe it is reliable. But the efford to keep it working "mouse free" (updating titles whenever needed, creating groups of entries for each site that has multiple ways to login etc) is cumbersome for a user who thinks like I do.

Keeform is a partial solution which I am looking into. However, it is not mouse free as global autotype.

-Nick

• Nobody/Anonymous

You don't need to use the mouse ("doubleclick"), you could also use CTRL-U     mouse-free :-)

• Paul

Paul - 2005-12-13

The latest beta has multiple Auto-Type-Window strings per entry.

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

k Thanks Paul,

I will check it out.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks