Help
Benny
2017-06-19
2017-06-19
  • Benny

Benny - 2017-06-19

Auto-Type problem

Hi guys,
    I know it sounds silly but I cant make Keepass to fill in a simple password in the MS Outlook Office program, while logging in for mail accout. I think I tried most I found in the net the last 2 days, but the password does not get passed in. This is not my first PassPass Entery. I did quite a few but all web page based in a browser. With Outlook it just does not work and I have no idea why. Please have a look at the attached pictures
    Server and user name (Benutzername) is already filled out by Outlook. So Keepass only has to paste PW and Enter. It is writing the PW and Enter correct when I use an editor windows for testing. For some reason it is not accessing the Outlook login window. (Microsoft Office 2010).

Can anybody help me please?

Last edit: Benny 2017-06-19
  • Paul

Paul - 2017-06-19

You can test this by placing the cursor in the password field of Outlook
    Bring up KeePass.
    Select the correct entry.
    Press Ctrl V (perform Autp-Type).
    KeePass will drop to the background and type the password and Enter.

cheers, Paul

• Benny

Benny - 2017-06-19

Thanks Paul,
    I tried this allready before but nothing happens execpt the Outlook Window gets deselected.

I already thought Outlook Login might be special task/window. The Longin window is ALWAYS on top of all windows on desktop. There is no way to put it behind an other window. Thats normal Outlook behaviour, but perhaps this has any effect?

• Horst

Horst - 2017-06-19

I guess you are running Outlook with higher Rights and for this reason KeePass can't fill anything.

• Benny

Benny - 2017-06-19

I can't image that Horst. Outlook gets started like any other program under Win7. There is no Admin confirm window before like usully in Win7.
    I know the problem I have is not easy, but I guess many people are using Outlook. Does nobody else has a problem here? How are the Keepass setting then when using Outlook then?

Update: I started Keepass under Admin rights. Still the same problem. So it's no problem of rights.

• Paul

Paul - 2017-06-19

Switch away from Outlook, then switch back. Does the focus stay in the password field?

cheers, Paul

• Benny

Benny - 2017-06-19

No it doesn't, but it stays in the foreground all the time. To reactivate the login window, I have to click on it again.

• Paul

Paul - 2017-06-19

Can you tab back to the password field?

Does it retain focus if you use Ctrl Alt A? Set the windows title match to asterisk (*) to guarantee a match.

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2017-06-19

You can't have multiple matches for this to work, it must just Auto-Type.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-06-19

It appears that perform Auto-Type (Ctrl+V) does not work on the MS Outlook 2010 email login page shown in your post. The behavior is as you describe.

However, the global auto-type hot key (default hotkey Ctrl+Alt+A) does work. When you configure a custom auto-type sequence, the Target Window must be either an exact match, or you must include wild cards. Try *Internet Email* as the target window. Make sure the cursor is in the Password field when you press the global hotkey.

If you don't have much experience with the global auto type hotkey, try testing a custom auto-type on the KeePass Test Form page

Last edit: wellread1 2017-06-19
  • Benny

Benny - 2017-06-19

"Can you tab back to the password field?"
    No, not with the TAB button. I have to click in the login windows with the mouse.

After switching away from Outlook (restoring another wilndow or put Keepass in the foreground to selcect the password specific line), the "first" Outlook window is selected (please see explanation below). Same if I press TAB. TAB moves around in the first Outlook window not in the (second) Login Outlook window.

To understand better Outlook first window and second (login) windows:
    After I start Outlook, I klick on "Send and Receive all mail" in the menue. A Outlook window pops up and tried to syncronize the mail accoutn (please see "Outlook Login3" picture. Then Outlook disscoveres that there ist no access to the mal system and opens the second LOGIN window (picture "Outlook Login).

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-06-19

After switching away from Outlook (restoring another wilndow or put Keepass in the foreground to selcect the password specific line), the "first" Outlook window is selected

I can confirm that Perform Auto-Type (Ctrl+V) returns the focus to the main MS Outlook window instead of the "Internet Email" dialog.

• Benny

Benny - 2017-06-19

However, the global auto-type hot key (default hotkey Ctrl+Alt+A) does work.
    It did work !!! :-))) Thats becaue the focus is not getting away from the login window, correct?

One last question: What will keepass do when in the Auto-Tpye windows shows differend enterys in Standard-Sequenz and individual window. Please see attached picture. In the standard-sequenze is "Password", in the windows sequence is "Password"+"Enter".

• Paul

Paul - 2017-06-19

It depends on what matches, the entry Title or the additional match.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-06-19

Thats becaue the focus is not getting away from the login window, correct?

I believe your analysis is correct. Fortunately, it is uncommon for the focus to fail to return to the original window and field when perform auto-type is initiated.

What will keepass do when in the Auto-Tpye windows shows differend enterys in Standard-Sequenz and individual window.

If multiple target windows match, KeePass will display an "Auto-Type Entry Selection" dialog that contains the list of matching sequences. Selecting from the list will execute selected keystroke sequence. On rare occasions auto-type will fail after this dialog because the focus moved away from the window or entry dialog and it may not return correctly. I have not tested, but the MS Outlook "Internet Email" dialog may exhibit this sort of behavior.

• Benny

Benny - 2017-06-21

I probably did not describe my question exact enough. ;-)

In the attached Kepass windows I change to "Ovrwrite Standart Sequenze" and set for password <Password+Enter>.
    In the windows defined list I add the name of the loging windows and put for password only <Password>.
    Now there is an opposition. Will Keepass use the first or the second rule, with out without Enter, when I mark the specific entery in the list, right mouse click, "Run Auto Type"? Both rules are in the same passwort line.

Last edit: Benny 2017-06-21
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-06-21

For global auto-type (default auto-type hotkey Ctrl+Alt+A):

• If only the Entry Title matches the Window Title, the default auto-type keystroke sequence will be sent.
    • If only a Target Window of a custom auto-type sequence matches the Window Title, the corresponding custom keystroke sequence will be sent.
    • If neither the Entry Title nor a Target Window of a custom auto-type sequence matches the Window Title, nothing will be sent.
    • If the Entry Title and a Target Window of a custom auto-type sequence matches, the "Auto-Type Entry Selection" dialog will be displayed.

To turn just Entry Title matching off globally, uncheck: An entry matches if its title is contained in the target window title in Tools>Options>Advanced(tab)>Auto-Type(section).

For an additional description of auto-type see http://keepass.info/help/base/autotype.html.

Last edit: wellread1 2017-06-21
  • Benny

Benny - 2017-06-22

Thank you very much wellread1. I really appreciate your help. Everything ist clear now.
    Best regards, Benny :-)