Problem with apps opening/behavior

Help
Ken
2014-07-08
2014-07-11
  • Ken

Ken - 2014-07-08

Hi, I use Keepass portable 2.27. When I try to open applications through the Override URL they behave weird. For instance Filezilla opened from Keepass does not connect to a Server, instead it returns an error: "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known". If I open Filezilla from any other link on my computer it works normally. Same thing happens with Thunderbird: "Failed to connect..." In 2.26 everything was okay. Unfortunately I've deleted the 2.26. Please help me with 2.27 or give me an actual link to 2.26.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-08

KeePass 2.27 changed the default URL overrides in 2.27. If the URL was working in KeePass 2.26 and is not working in 2.27 and you have not changed the URL in the KeePass entry. See https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/feature-requests/1873/#efe2 and http://keepass.info/help/base/placeholders.html#plh.

I believe the change in KeePass 2.27 should only affect KeePass URLs that are NOT in the entry's URL field (e.g. where the {BASE} and {URL} placeholders would contain different values).

Last edit: wellread1 2014-07-08
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-08

Actually there is no default Override for Filezilla so the change in the default overrides in 2.27 described above will not be the source of your problem.

When a user runs a URL from a entry, all KeePass does is tell Windows to run the program specified by the URL protocol (e.g. a browser or other program such as Filezilla) using user supplied arguments. All a URL override does, is allow the user to define a shorthand version of a URL protocol (command line) that will start a designated program, and specify both fixed arguments and variable arguments whose value would be contained in designated placeholders.

As a consequence, if Filezilla is behaving unexpectedly after running from a URL in KeePass, it is because the either the program or the arguments have been incorrectly specified by the user in the URL or URL override. You need to reexamine the URL and the URL override.

Users may be able to help if you post the URL and URL override that is causing problems.

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-08

But why does it happen in Chrome and Thunderbird? OK, here are the URL and URL override for Filezilla:
    URL: c:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe
    Override: cmd://"c:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe"

I can fill both fields or leave each one of them empty, the app will open in any case, but it doesn't work properly (see above), or if I open Google Chrome with Keepass I cannot connect to any site. If Chrome is already open and I doubleclick on URL I can get to the page but auto-type is not working. If I open the same page manually (without Keepass) auto-type is okay. I've never had any troubles with all versions of Keepass for 7 happy years. And now I want my 2.26 back but all links send me to 2.27 :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edit: Ken 2014-07-08
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-08

You haven't posted the protocol that you assigned to the override to and anyway you are not using the assigned protocol in your KeePass URL. So if

Protocol: 'fz'
    Override: cmd://"c:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe"

Then the URL in KeePass should be: fz://
    Specifying fz:// in a KeePass URL would mean 'run FileZilla'

However I don't really see why you need an override. Just use the string below as the entry's URL:

cmd://"c:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe"

I can fill both fields or leave each one empty, the app will open in any case, but it doesn't work properly (see above), or if I open Google Chrome with Keepass I cannot connect to any site. If Chrome is already open and I doubleclick on URL I can get to the page but auto-type is not working. If I open the same page manually (without Keepass) auto-type is okay. I've never had any troubles with all versions of Keepass for 7 happy years. And now I want my 2.26 back :( But all links send me to 2.27 Any help appreciated.

I don't know what this has to do with Filezilla

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-08

However I don't really see why you need an override. Just use the string below as
      the entry's URL:

As I stated before I tried to fill both fields or leave EACH ONE of them empty, the app would open in any case, but it didn't work properly.

I don't know what this has to do with Filezilla.

So do I, but everything is just so. Note that I didn't change any settings after 2.26.

Can you please elaborate about assigning the protocol?

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-08

Just for testing downloaded the 1.27 and imported DB (kdb) - everything works perfect! Although some features missing. I think the 2.27 has some bugs.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-08

You should use the edition you are most comfortable with.

KeePass 1.x is still actively maintained, it is older than KeePass 2.x, it is simpler than 2.x, and it has fewer features. However, KeePass 2.x is also actively maintained, it is seven years old, it has more features and it is more popular than 1.x by about 4:1 (based on total downloads year-to-date).

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-08

Sorry, KeePass calls it the 'Scheme' not protocol. It is the label that you assign when you add a URL override by pressing the 'Add...' button in the URL override dialog, which is accessed by pressing the 'URL Overrides...' button on the Integration tab in Tools>Options.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-08

I have attached a screenshot of the URL Override dialog.

What happens if you run Filezilla from the Windows run dialog?
    Win-R, then enter "C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe"

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-08

You should use the edition you are most comfortable with.

Before the 2.27 I was more comfortable with 2.x edition. Note that on the same machine with exactly equal settings and same DB 2.26 and 1.27 work flawlessly. Any suggestions?

What happens if you run Filezilla from the Windows run dialog?

It works fine. All worked fine before I updated Keepass to 2.27. At first I couldn't understand what's going on. I've checked the firewall, viruses etc. and only by chance I ran Filezilla not from Keepass. Only then I began to understand.

I have attached a screenshot of the URL Override dialog.

Thanks a lot, wellread1, will try it tomorrow and report the outcome. But I think there's still something wrong with 2.27

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-08

The URL that you provided works fine for me when I double click on it in the Main View pane of KeePass 2.27 (I have filezilla installed on the same path). The URL formulated this way does not make use of an URL override so that is a blind alley.

Note: Normally I would have added the prefix cmd:// and enclosed the string in quotes per the documentation e.g. cmd://"c:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe".

Your initial report was that:

...Filezilla opened from Keepass does not connect to a Server, instead it returns an error: "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".

The command line that you posted does not contain any arguments that would cause Filezilla to attempt to connect to a server, but the error you reported suggests that the command line did in fact start Filezilla, and then caused it to attempt operations that resulted in errors.

I suggest you create a new KeePass entry and copy and paste the following line into the URL field:

Double click on the URL from the Main View pane and report what happens.

Also make sure that you have not checked "Override all entry URLs:" in Tools>Options>Integration(tab)>URL Overrides...(button)

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-09

Thank you wellread1, I created a new entry with URL field: cmd://"c:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe"
    and double clicked on the URL from the Main View pane.

FileZilla starts and gives the same error.

Now I've noticed one interesting thing: when I use in FileZilla's entry an IP of a server (like 174.136.xx.xxx) instead of its name (like FTP.site.com) everything's fine. It looks like there is something wrong with DNS. I checked my hosts file - no problem. And why in the world starting Filezilla (also Thunderbird and Chrome) from Keepass 1.27 and 2.26 makes no trouble?

Last edit: Ken 2014-07-09
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-09

So my current understanding of the problem is:

KeePass successfully opens Filezilla. If, after Filezilla is running, you enter the Host (server) name as an URL, Filezilla produces errors. If, after Filezilla is running, you enter the HOST name as an IP address, Filezilla successfully contacts the Host.

However if you start Filezilla from the Windows Run dialog (Win-R) using the same command as in KeePass (except with the cmd:// removed), Filezilla opens successfully. If, after Filezilla is running, you enter the Host (server) name as an URL, Filezilla successfully contacts the Host.

I can't reproduce the problem above with KeePass 2.27.

Are you by any chance using some sandbox software?

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-10

Yes, that's right.

About the same thing happens when I try to open Chrome and Thunderbird. Chrome (opened from Keepass 2.27) says: "This webpage is not available", and NONE page is available, so I have to close Chrome, open it manually (or from 1.27 or 2.26) then it is okay.

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-10

Yes, that's right. About the same thing happens when I try to open Chrome and Thunderbird. Chrome (opened from Keepass 2.27) says: This webpage is not available, and NONE page is available, so I have to close Chrome, open it manually (or from 1.27 or 2.26) then it is okay.

No, as far as I know what is a sandbox software.

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-10

Problem solved! I cleaned registry with 2 different programs and now everything works fine. wellread1, thanks again.

• Ken

Ken - 2014-07-10

But I am still wondering, what is so different between 2.26 and 2.27.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks