SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

File cannot be opened!

Help
2004-06-24
2012-11-19
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I just started using KeePass, and spent a long time researching and entering all my password.  I've use my password to get into my file many times over the last few days, as I've been building the database.

Today I open KeePass, enter my password and it tells me that it cannot open the file.  I'm using the only password I would use for this and nobody else has access to this machine or my files.

Any thoughts?

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2004-06-24

Well, if you have accessed it already so many times, I don't think there's something wrong with KeePass.

Have you changed anything? Like made it write-protected, etc.? Or, of course, make sure you use and typed the correct master password.

Best regards,
      Dominik

• Nobody/Anonymous

Strange.  So when I tried to open the database by clicking on the open icon it gave me that error.  When I tried opening by double-clicking on the file itself it worked.

I was definitely using the right password.  I tried entering it 10-15 times and made sure I was using the correct one.  I've been into that file many times before and definitely know which password it was, and the file was not protected at all.

In any case, I'm in now, but something was screwy.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2004-06-24

So it works again now?

Do you maybe have such a special key activator, mapping keys to other ones? Windows XP has such a "feature" and sometimes this gets enabled and nobody knows really why (at least people have told me that, don't have WinXP)...

Best regards,
      Dominik

• Anthony Carmody

Anthony Carmody - 2004-08-26

i get the same message. i have XP. anyone got any ideas?

• Nobody/Anonymous

IM using w2k and the newest version of keepass
      this morning im uable to open my database, og im 100% sure im using the right password.. im going to try doubleclick the database and see if that helps...  i just tried.. no luck, the reason why i know my password is right, is that i use my 2 mac adresses on my cmputers

any idea hov to get into my database now??

• Nobody/Anonymous

me too, and im 200% sure im suing the right password

• Nobody/Anonymous

me too, and im 200% sure im using the right password.. no luck

• Nobody/Anonymous

still having problems, cant access my db and the key is right
      just right after i attached a file to the db??

any ideas?

• Da Black Pug

Da Black Pug - 2004-09-07

Corrupted Database? I had that happen during a bad save and lost all my passwords. *Now I backup*

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have the same problem.  It appears this program is really not as reliable as you would expect.  I spent the last 3 days exporting my data over to KeePass from eWallet.... opened it for use a few times and now its magically corrupt.  What a mess!  I hate you Keepass.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Sounds like either a corrupted db/key or install which isn't necessarily the program's fault or user error...

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

I get the same "File cannot be opened!" described above... The difference is that I am using a key-disk to save the database. Both, the Database.kdb and the pwsafe.key files were accessible on my USB Pen Drive until yesterday. But today the "Open database..." failed while I don't change anything.

Any ideas or help?

Best,
      Jens

• Nobody/Anonymous

Could happen to anyone; from what I've seen file corruption is due more to the users system/usage habits and not directly to keepass.  Rule #1 - always back up your info (in a safe and different location), including your keepass database/keypass files!!!

• Nobody/Anonymous

well if the db can be corrupted that easy, u cant really use the prg for anything, and the db is still a part of the prg, so i blame the prg

one note thou.. my db got inaccessable right after i attached a file to one of the passwords ???

best
      Michael

• Nobody/Anonymous

Is there someone having any solution to this problem I just facing the same error now and I'm 100 % sure of my password.

I got a copy (not fresh) with the same password and it open well.

So what the heck with this progy.I was enthusiast about it and now I'm very disapointed.

I did not experience crash with my computer and I use it with an USB key.No I got to look for the password that I purposely create complex with the TAG and now I cannot remember them at all !!!!!.

Is there any way to recover from this situation ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

The best of the best get corrupted...  That is why backups are necessary.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Does that mean the database cannot be accessed anymore???

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have had similar problems with a database not opening. However, when I tried to open the file a second time it opened correctly. Haven't been able to work out why this occasionally happens, but if it happens to you, I'd recommend trying to open the file a second time.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I reinstalled my stupid WIN XP and after trying to access my database with ALL my passwords, I freezed cause I could not open my main database. I had installed an old version of Key PAssword - 0.94a. I tried and tried and nothing! Then I looked and isntalled the newest version - 0.97c and BOOM - the file opened from the first time! What a relief! I have over 100 passwords from the different web sites I have visited in the past 15 years! It could have been OUCH! but now it is GREAT! :-)

Hope the same will happen to you too! Wish you all the best in life!

• NatHL

NatHL - 2004-11-23

Same problem here. I am not impressed with this product at all.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2004-11-23

Please, for all people crying that the program doesn't work (any more): try to reproduce it with a new database and send me the corrupt database, along with the password you initially used. Without this, I can't do anything.

You're just saying that it doesn't work any more... Well, what shall I do now? I'm using KeePass every day since the first version and never ever a database corrupted. How to fix a bug that I can't even reproduce, not a single time?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Obviously most normal users have other issues with their systems and don't understand enough of what their doing to really isolate the problem.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hello, I've experienced the same problem today. I don't know the reason.

Anyway, I could solve it: I started KeePass and canceled the master password query dialog. Then I created a new database with some dummy password and saved it to a dummy name. Then I again opened my main database from the menu. And it opened without problems. Please try this! 

So it means, that database is not corrupt,  it seems to be some other kind of problem. I'm running the same version of KeePass for several weeks now and never had any problems. But I made some recent changes to my system. I installed some software, ran a registry cleaner (ouch!) and so on.

It's always easy to blame the author, but computers are very complex and it may be not his fault. And there is so much other software running which may interfere with KeePass.  While KeePass is straightforward software much of the other software is total crap and messing up system (antivirus software for example).

Even if it is a bug in KeePass, you should always blame yourself first for not making backups. Well, I forgot, and I blamed myself. Was my fault. So after I fixed this problem I made a backup immediately.

Please do make backups. Even better: make a printout and put it into a real safe at your local bank or at some secret place. And then make a second printout and put it into the safe of someone you can trust.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Same here but I have found the solution.
      It was the desktop icon who linked to the wrong database.
      Just go in your keepass folder and click on keepas in this folder.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)