SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Find entries with a particular custom field?

Help
Anonymous
2012-10-01
2012-11-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-10-01

I have a Keepass 2.x database with hundreds of entries imported long ago from another wallet application, and it contains all sorts of custom fields often with the same meaning but under a different names ('Email' and 'Email addr' etc.). I'd like to clean it up by unifying some names and removing others. So the question is: Can I find all entries containing a custom field with a particular name and how? I cannot figure it out myself. (I'm using Win 7 app.)
    Of course, I can export the database to XML and search there, but I'd rather avoid this step. Maybe it's possible to export only some of the fields (say, exclude passwords). If yes, then how?

• Paul

Paul - 2012-10-01

There is no simple way to clean up your data because you can't re-import it in a meaningful way.
    I suggest you export everything to HTML, then open it with Excel and fix the columns. Once you have done this save as CSV and use the KeePass generic CSV importer.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-10-01

I don't know of a way to identify entries from within KeePass that contain empty custom string values.  It is necessary to find these entries to completely eliminate the unwanted custom string fields.

However, a careful search and replace on an exported XML file, followed by re-importing into a new database will allow you to do the cleanup you desire, and will preserve all of the data.

-wellread1

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-10-02

Those fields are not empty, I'll need to move/rename/merge them manually, I just wanted a fast automatic way to locate them by a field name. It seems like there is no way to do it with the program itself. So I guess full export/edit/import is my only option.
    Thanks anyway.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-10-02

The fields can be viewed by adding them to the view (View->Configure Columns->(select the field to view)).  The problem from an editing point of view is that the scope of the field names is per-entry, not per-database, so the field name has to be changed in every entry individually and there is no tool to do this.

-wellread1

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-10-02

Correction:  so the field name has to be changed in every entry in which it exists and there is no tool to do this.

Also if your data set contains custom fields that exist in the same entry and that you wish to merge them you will need to address that during your editing.  I am not sure what happens if you try to import an entry that contains duplicate custom fields.

-wellread1

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-10-03

Thanks a lot! I haven't thought you could add custom field columns to the list view. That helped.