Keepass on the Cloud (Dropbox, iCloud, Amazon S3)

Help
20pictures
2013-05-22
2013-05-30
  • 20pictures

20pictures - 2013-05-22

This subject has been touched upon last year but as things are developing so fast I thought I would pose a couple of questions to invite helpful discussion.

1. I have installed the Portable Keepass in my Dropbox, which allows access from my desktops & netbooks & keeps all changes synchronised. Access to the database is by a 10-character password (uppercase, lowercase, numeral, special). Whilst this is a vast improvement on my old password protected Excel file, is this a major security risk. As more people are encouraged to store on the cloud, I'm sure there is a great interest in this subject.

2. I have installed the Keepass App on my Android smartphone, however, I still can't figure out how to access my Keepass stored in the Dropbox, through the smartphone. I tried accessing directly through the Dropbox app but was informed I needed to install an app to run the Keepass.

• J Kenney

J Kenney - 2013-05-30

I have installed the Keepass App on my Android smartphone, however, I still can't figure out how to access my Keepass stored in the Dropbox, through the smartphone

With KeePassDroid installed, all I have to do is go into the Dropbox app (NOT KeePass) and select the database file from there- then Dropbox downloads the file, and KeePassDroid will take over and open it for you.

Worth noting- if you want to keep a permanently-available offline copy on your droid for Dropbox to sync, you will need to mark the database file as a "favorite" within the Dropbox app and then it will keep a local copy on your phone. Read up on how it works here:
      https://www.dropbox.com/help/87/en

Last edit: J Kenney 2013-05-30
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-05-25

Access to the database is by a 10-character password (uppercase, lowercase, numeral, special). Whilst this is a vast improvement on my old password protected Excel file, is this a major security risk.

See the Wikipedia article on password strength for some well reasoned discussion of password strength. The GRC password haystack page can also be helpful by presenting the likelihood of cracking passwords in terms that most people can related to. The risk acceptable to an individual is a personal choice.

A technique useful for keeping the Master Password to a reasonable level of complexity in a cloud based KeePass database is to implement a key file stored at the end nodes in a local directory but that is never stored in the cloud.

I tried accessing directly through the Dropbox app but was informed I needed to install an app to run the Keepass.

You may need to install a file manager app to enable you to navigate the android directory structure. I use File Expert HD.

• steelej

steelej - 2013-05-26

I use TeamDrive rather than Dropbox as there is a second layer of encryption. all TeamDrive files are encrypted in their server.

I don't have a suitable phone to test it on but there is an TeamDrive Android app available for synchronisation with files in TeamDrive.

• Pleasant Solutions

It sounds like you are quite technically inclined 20pictures, so if for some reason Dropbox/TeamDrive aren't working for you and you have the ability to use a Windows based computer + dyndns or something to make it a server, you could use the Pleasant server. I'm starting to wonder if some hosting company would simplify this to provide hosting for cheap or free for the Pleasant server + Keepass.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks