Syncing issue

Help
Sue
2013-01-07
2013-01-10
  • Sue
    Sue
    2013-01-07

I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas and am still learning how to use it. I have a desktop PC running XP. I read the good reviews for Keepass(2.x version) and KeepassDroid and installed both of them.

I know I can only "read" on my Nexus 7 but I can't even get it to display the data. I am connecting the Nexus 7 to my desktop via USB cord. And using Sync from the file menu on the desktop.

I feel like this is operator error and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have read on the internet for ten days about Keepass and I can't figure it out. Shouldn't be able to sync my pc and tablet? I really don't want to use Dropbox or any external site.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I feel pretty stupid this morning! :)

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-07

I would make a new simple database in a separate folder and attempt to copy/sync that to the Nexus - just in case the Nexus does weird things. Once the file is on the Nexus you should be able to open the database using KeePassDroid.

Have you been able to open KeePassDroid and browse to the database?
    Does it prompt for the master password?

cheers, Paul

• Sue
    Sue
    2013-01-08

Paul, I did make a new database on my desktop. I was not able to get it on the Nexus with the sync command on Keepass. I went to file and then synchronize and synchronize with file. No file goes to the Nexus.

I copied the file from the desktop to the Nexus and I could see it. But, no additional entries are visible. Surely I don't have to copy the file from the desktop to the Nexus each time I change something. I was hoping I could do it in a simpler way.

Thanks for trying to help me--it just seems like I am missing something very basic here!

Sue

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-08

KeePass sync does not move/copy files to any location, it takes 2 existing files and makes them the same. You need to use another mechanism to copy the database file to the Nexus.
    Read our Trigger Sync example and see if that helps.

cheers, Paul

• Sue
    Sue
    2013-01-09

I think I have an incorrect understanding of how sync works. I thought it would keep the 2 files--on PC and Nexus--so they are the same. I'm not sure where the "2 existing files" would be or why I would have them if they aren't on a different device.

So, if I am understanding correctly everytime I update the PC I would need to copy the file to the Nexus.

Sorry to be so dense, but I really want to be able to use this software. Thanks so much for your patience, Paul.

• Paul
    Paul
    2013-01-10

You will always have 2 files, one on each system. Then you can modify either file and use Sync to merge the changes.

Dropbox is a popular way to copy the files between devices, then you run sync on each device.

cheers, Paul