Are Entry "shortcuts" available for organisation?

Help
2013-06-03
2013-06-03
  • Michael Wells

Michael Wells - 2013-06-03

In my work I maintain a keepass folder for each client, and each project, which collects all of the needed passwords for their systems and services.

Often times these logins are shared across clients for example, we'll have a Google Analytics account which administers 25 different clients. The problem is remembering which Analytics account holds each client's data, and it's a bit of guesswork at the moment.

All of the Google Analytics entries in keepass are stored in one folder, and we'd like to be able to copy-paste a "shortcut" into each client's folder, so there's no guesswork which login is needed for each client.

I understand that this can be done using Field References, but requires quite a bit more setup to configure it. We just need a kind of placeholder reference that we can store in the folder, which behaves just like the source entry.

The perfect solution (which I haven't been able to find) is a Copy / Paste as Shortcut feature, where the shortcut icon shows a small identifier indicating that it's a shortcut rather than an actual entry.

Deleting an entry which has shortcuts referring to it would warn, and give the option to delete those shortcuts as well.

Alternately, perhaps something akin to Duplicate Entry, but which creates field references in the Username and Password fields, that reference the original record. Then the new Entry can be moved to the appropriate folder and there's no risk of them getting out of sync?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-06-03

Alternately, perhaps something akin to Duplicate Entry, but which creates field references in the Username and Password fields, that reference the original record. Then the new Entry can be moved to the appropriate folder and there's no risk of them getting out of sync?

If you are using KeePass 1.x you will need to switch to KeePass 2.x. If you are using KeePass 2.x you should update to a recent version. Duplicate Entry, in KeePass 2.x, has had this capability for some time.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks