KeePass and IE7 under Vista

Help
2006-06-24
2012-11-19
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I am running into some issues with KeePass using Vista Beta 2 (build 5384) and the included version of IE7 Beta 2.  The application runs but the Autoype function does not work at all.  It doesn't work using Ctrl-V or right clicking and selecting it.  Sometimes it just beeps and does nothing, sometimes it seems to activate a different desktop icon.
    I also tested in using IE7 Beta 2 under Windows XP Home SP 2 and it worked fine, so it seems to be something specific to Vista.
    This was both 1.03 and 1.05

• Paul

Paul - 2006-06-24

Vista probably changes the way keyboard input works. Maybe they decided to attempt to limit keyboard snooping - we can but hope?

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

Did it change anything, if you select / deselct alternate Auto-type in options?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I did a little more testing.

As suggested, if I turned on the "Use alternative auto-type method" it worked just fine.

I also discovered that using the global auto-type hot key worked even on the pages that the Ctrl-V hot key would not work. (With the alternative auto-type setting turned off).

• Paul

Paul - 2006-06-26

That's odd. Can you test it some more and try to work out if is consistant?

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

I found out, that there is at least one utility, which does NOT have an always on top window, which prevents Auto-type (ctrl-v), if the alternate auto-type is turned off; it is a little tool called Hot Corners, which is able to temporarily turn off the screen-saver.
      On the other hand, sometimes auto-type with alternate mode OFF does sometimes (but inconsistently) work, if the always on top property is set on for the windows task manager.
      (This answer is not related to IE 7 or Vista, but the second last post makes me believe, that this might help however. I do not know Vista, but maybe, there is a similar function as Hot Corners build in?)
      Greetings, Thomas

• Nobody/Anonymous

I did some more testing and the results are very odd.  I tested using v1.05 running from a USB flash drive.  I tested two scenarios, Vista Beta 2 with IE 7, and XP Pro SP2 with IE6.  Both systems have all updates.

I tested 5 random sites from my database.  Under XP Pro, all 5 sites worked using Ctrl-V.  4 of the 5 worked using Ctrl-Alt-A.  I did not test the alternate input method since they all worked using the default method.

Under Vista, only 2 of the 5 worked using Ctrl-V.  The 3 that did not work, did work using Ctrl-V when switched to the alternate input method.  The same 4 of 5 worked using Ctrl-Alt-A.

One really odd thing is for the 3 that did not work using Ctrl-V, 2 of them just beeped and did nothing.  The third one opened a new browser window.

If you need me to test anything else let me know.
      Peter

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Peter,

following my experience, the beeping shows, that anything is getting the inputs, that can do nothing with them. Saying this, I even more believe, that there is any tool / background application whatsoever, that takes the inputs, that KeePass sends by pressing ctrl-v. For seeking for this, I would close anything, that is in the system tray and eventually try to close processes, but that can be tricky. Following my previous post, disable the screen saver (just a guess). As I have no Vista, I can't do it myself.

Greetings, Thomas

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thomas,
      I'll see what I can find out.  The part I don't understand about your theory is why would it work sometimes, but not others?  The application or service that is "stealing" the inputs should be running all the time.  So why does IE get the input sometimes and the other app get it sometimes?

My guess is that it has something to do with the way the page is coded and how the changes in IE7 affect that coding.
      Peter

• Nobody/Anonymous

I did some more testing and it looks like it must be something about Vista itself.
      I was able to test the same sites using XP Home SP2 with the IE7 Beta and they all worked using Ctrl-V, just like in XP Pro with IE6.  This seems to suggest it's not the new version of IE.

I also tested using Vista and Firefox.  This produced the same results as using Vista and IE7.  This further suggests it's not IE.

I shut off the screen saver and tried shutting down a few services and it didn't help.

The global hot key worked in all the situations it worked under XP Pro and IE6.  Is there some difference between the way the global key passes the keystrokes to the browser and the way Ctrl-V passes them?

Peter

• Nobody/Anonymous

Peter,
      I would be happy, if could get the answer, and even more happy, if I knew, why the alternate method works in (AFAIK) all cases, and the other (newer) does not.

But rereading the starting post I don't believe, that this is an IE7-related issue, but has something to do with Vista. Out of this I believe the culprit is to search there; as I said, any background-task / driver / what else, which is new in comparison to XP.

• Paul

Paul - 2006-06-30

Peter, there should not be a difference between key strokes with those 2 methods, the key sending engine is the same. It may be that Ctrl-V is interpreted differently in Vista - it is the paste key. Try clearing the clipboard before using Ctrl-V?

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

Paul, I cleared the clipboard first and got the same result.
      Peter

• John L. Galt

John L. Galt - 2006-11-06

Having become a tester for Vista RC1&2, I find that whatever may have happened in Vista to prevent auto-typing may have gone further than intended.

I am using v1.06, and as Peter mentioned, both IE6 and IE7 in Win XP SP2 as well as Netscape 8 and Firefox 1.5.x, 2.0 Betas and RCs and final, *and* Firefox 3 alpha all allow autotyping.  Currently in Vista, however, I cannot get autoyping (global hot key) to work at all in terms of pasting into Either IE 7 final or Firefox 2.0 final.  I have tried some additional experiments, and cannot figure out why KeePass does not seem to be loading any information at all from the database, unless there is some setting that I have missed (in Vista).

I have a string copied into the clipboard memory, and I have tried both a CTRL+V as well as Global hotkey (CTRL + SHIFT + A) to see if I can successfully log into GMail. Nothing happens either way, neither having use alternative method checked nor unchecked, and furthermore, if I just focus the field manually and perform a paste, what I previously had saved to the clipboard is still there, indicating that KeePass is not even loading the items into memory in the first place.

I am going to try to set the executable properties since it may have to do with some odd permissions, but unless I can figure it out I'd love to hear more feedback from other Vista users.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks