There is no auto-update for plugins

AL|EN
2013-02-28
2015-08-10
  • AL|EN

AL|EN - 2013-02-28

Hello,
    It's IMPOSSIBLE to auto update plugins, that are forks of original code! I get some useless dialogue and I'm redirected to the plugins page and now what ? I'm not using "KeePassHttp" from this website but the improved version(hosted on Github), and even if i would use o "KeePassHttp" the only thing i want to see is an "Tooltip" that new version was installed.
    KP2 should have build-in feature for autoupdate plugins silently, just like Chrome do. It's 2013 and if there isn't any auto-update function, it's a BUG in general design.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-03-01

KeePass is not responsible for plug-ins and therefore has no way of checking for updates.
    More importantly, KeePass is a security application and you should never load updates just because they are new, you should check and test before committing your data to a 3rd party application.

cheers, Paul

• ZaWizard

ZaWizard - 2015-08-10

Excellent app you have made for all of us... Thank you devs for your selfless contribution to this almost thankless job.

I totally agree that Auto Updates could be a security risk, but atleast all the plugins should be manually updateable directly from the plugin manager, instead of having to go to the various websites everytime, then download then find the correct directory, delete the old files unzip the new one etc etc...

To get an idea of what I am saying and for Inspiration Please see the plugin Manager in Notepad++.. its awesome!!!

Thank you for your time...

• Paul

Paul - 2015-08-10

Managing plug-ins requires that they are all hosted together. This is not the case with KeePass and it would require considerable investment in time and web resources to acheive. I doubt the KeePass team (currently a team of one) is in a position to do this.

cheers, Paul

• David Lechner

David Lechner - 2015-08-10

Another possibility is to use the Chocolatey Nuget package manager. There are a couple of plugins that are already packaged there. You don't have to be an expert programmer to create a package. So, adopt your favorite plugin and package it so that others may benifit.

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2015-08-10

all the plugins should be manually updateable directly from the plugin manager

I've already suggested something similar in this Feature Request.

Last edit: T. Bug Reporter 2015-08-10

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks