The composite key is invalid

Anonymous
2012-11-29
2012-12-15
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-11-29

Hey Guys,

So I just started experiencing the error "The composite key is invalid". I have been searching on the forums here and Google if there are similar errors, and I have so far quite a few hits, none that helped thou.

I have a password and a keyfile. I know the password is correct because I have it saved in a TruCrypt folder. There is no backup available, except for one direct copy of the database file when it was still working on an external harddisk (but this one doesn't work either). Tried the windows previous version option but could not find any. Not sure what else to try, I think its a lost cause??

Is it possible that my keyfile got corrupted some how?
    Which seems a bit weird because I haven't touched it at all, it just sat there in the same folder.

Thanks,
    meruud

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-04

It is either the key file or the password, or you don't need a key file, just a password....
    There are quite a few possibilities. You will have to try them all to see what works.

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-05

Thanks for your reply Paul,

Everything was working fine two weeks ago, and at that time a keyfile and password was required. I didn't change any settings, so the requirements are still the same. As mentioned before my password is saved on my computer, so I am sure that it is correct. The only two things left are that the keyfile got corrupted or that KeePass itself failed.

So I am assuming and accepting that my passwords are lost, which is fine (a bit sad thou). Only wondering now how it is possible that the keyfile got corrupted? Considering that it has been untouched on my computer (even the "host"-folder hasn't been opened) it is a bit odd.

Have there been more mentions of KeePass itself failing / crashing?

Thanks,
    Rudolf

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-05

We haven't had a confirmed case of KeePass trashing a key file, but there are cases of the database being corrupted during a Windows shut down or saving over the web.
    Do you have a backup of the key file you can try?

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-08

I do have a backup of the key file and the database, but its a direct copy (Ctrl - c / Ctrl v) of the original on to an external harddisk. Could this copying have corrupted it?

I have tried both of them and the combinations possible of all four of them, but none seem to work.

Thanks,

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2012-12-09

Copying a KeePass database or a key file via a copy-paste operation will not damage either file.

KeePass allows you to unmask the master password as you type it in the Master Key dialog. Have you observed that the master password is entered correctly?

Going forward... a backup strategy protects against a damaged or lost database or key file. Backup can be implemented via backup plugins, or triggers, or with a conventional backup program.

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-09

Most likely you have forgotten the password or the sequence in which you use the key / password.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2012-12-15

I have had either DBs get corrupted or PW saved incorrectly.
    How do I know it was saved incorrectly. Because only changed existing PW - adding 2 letters at beginning of PW, while PW was displayed. They were exactly what I wanted. No, didn't accidentally erase / replace any other characters. But, after saving, it wouldn't open - w/ new PW (that I'd written down) or old one.

May not be KPs fault, but stuff happens. That's why should make backups of BUs of BUs. Other times w/ other prgms, PW works fine then suddenly stops.

VERY rarely I've seen keybds mistype characters. Often not enter a char when press key or shift not working. In that case, have to display PW to see if entering correctly.