Possible New Feature: Open multiple databases

2006-11-28
2012-11-20
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I would like to suggest a new feature.

I work in an IT department with many people and we have many servers/applications which require passwords and not everyone is supposed to have access to all of these passwords. So we have created many kdb files and depending on the type of server, application, etc we need access to we open that kdb.  It would be extreemly usefull if we could open up multiple KDB's at 1 time with out having to continually click the open button and search for the KDB we are looking for.

OR, better yet, lets scratch that whole idea and have 1 password to get into the database, then the possibility for a seperate password for each group.  If none is specified, then the password would be the same as the "main" database and no authentication would be required.

• Paul

Paul - 2006-11-28

Individual group passwords are not likely to be added. KeePass is a simple personal password manager, not an Enterprise, multi user password manager.

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

Even if KeePass is not an Enterprise password manager, It may be very interesting develop this feature.
      I use KeePass for my family password (for internet connection, system log-in, e-mail, registration in about 15 or 20 internet site from the electrical society's site to the site for printing on-line the photos of the holidays).
      This password are all stored in a KeePass database that may be used by me or my wife, but my 3 soons (2 over 18 years old and one 14 years old) COULDN'T have free access to all the password stored).
      If the majors soons my open the database to use the internet connection password or the password to buy something on-line, they couldn't access to my personal e-mail password, and in particular the 14th couldn't access to internet connection password without me or his mother but he can access a some registered internet site "parental approved" with the password that i stored in the keepass database.
      So it would be interesting develop a similar feature first of all for personal use.
      Thank you
      Att

• Squeller

Squeller - 2006-11-29

You can solve this by having multiple pw databases only. You could call a sub hierarchy Keepass database from your main database with only your sons passwords:

USERNAME: c:\blah\sonsdatabase.kdb
      URL: cmd://c:\pathto\KeePass.exe {USERNAME} -pw:{PASSWORD}

which may make life easier for you.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I tried but something doesm't work because it open Keepass but not the database.
      What is wrong?
      I have "sonsdatabase.kdb" with username "ALFA" and password "BETA"
      In my master database I create a new key in wich

Gruop: "General"
      Title: "Link to sonsdatabase"
      Username: "e:\sonsdatabase.kdb"
      URL: "cmd://E:\KeePass-1.06\KeePass.exe {ALFA} -pw:{BETA}
      Password: nothing
      Confirm: nothing
      nothing in other field.

When I open the URL only a new keepass windows appear but not the sonsdatabase.kdb opened.

What is wrong?

Thank you!

• Nobody/Anonymous

I tried and tried again and I found the problem!!

The problem is in the path of my kdb file.

Unlike the example over there the path of the sons database is

e:\- home syncro\sonsdatabase.kdb

the directory that I use to sincronize with my usb mass storage device.
      The problem is in the spaces between "-" and "home" and between "home" and "syncro" and the program doesn't read the entiere path but only a part of it and doesn't open the database.
      How can I do?

• Paul

Paul - 2006-11-30

Put quotes around the path.

Username: 
      URL: cmd://E:\KeePass-1.06\KeePass.exe "e:\- home syncro\sonsdatabase.kdb" -pw:{PASSWORD}
      Password: BETA

Or

Username: e:\- home syncro\sonsdatabase.kdb
      URL: cmd://E:\KeePass-1.06\KeePass.exe "{USERNAME}" -pw:{PASSWORD}

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am not quite sure (did not try it myself), but you can try the following:
      Set the expression {ALFA} in the URL-field in parenthesis, so it looks: "{ALFA}"
      If this does not help, try the same with the whole expression in the Username-field. You showed them there, but are the parethesis really in the record?

Thomas

• Nobody/Anonymous

Oh, I found two things:
      1. Paul was quicker. That is OK.
      2. My english vocabulary has some errors. Not so good. Of course I mean quotes instead of parenthesis. Have something learned from you, Paul.

Thomas

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thank you very mutch.
      Now it's work!

• Fadalkin

Fadalkin - 2006-12-02

Just a quick addition I found when using this feature for DB's with keyfiles.

EXAMPLE:
      Username: e:\- home syncro\sonsdatabase.kdb
      URL: cmd://E:\KeePass-1.06\KeePass.exe "{USERNAME}" -pw:{PASSWORD} -keyfile:e:\keyfilefolder\pwsafe.key

or if the DB and keyfile are kept within the KeePass application folder structure it can be written out as...
      E:\KeyPass-1.06\KeePass.exe
      E:\KeyPass-1.06\KeePassDatabaseFolder\ E:\KeyPass-1.06\KeePassDatabaseFolder\sonsddatabase.kdb
      E:\KeyPass-1.06\KeePassKeFileFolders\ E:\KeyPass-1.06\KeePassKeFileFolders\pwsafe.key

EXAMPLE:
      Username: {APPDIR}\KeePassDatabaseFolder\sonsdatabase.kdb
      URL: cmd://{APPDIR}\KeePass.exe "{USERNAME}" -pw:{PASSWORD} -keyfile:{APPDIR}\KeePassKeFileFolders\pwsafe.key

This is useful if you want to have a Database that contains links into multiple other databases.  You can store the DB files in different folder directories and keep the keyfiles in different directories as well.
      If you run the KeePass.exe from the Root of a drive (a thumb drive) you can use the {APPDIR} for your path so that when used on different machines (thus assinged different drive letters) the links still work. 
      Enjoy :-)

• Nobody/Anonymous

If I have many keyfile I have to add more time the string

URL: cmd://{APPDIR}\KeePass.exe "{USERNAME}" -pw:{PASSWORD} -keyfile:e:\keyfilefolder\pwsafe1.key -keyfile:e:\keyfilefolder\pwsafe2.key -keyfile:e:\keyfilefolder\pwsafe3.key etc.

or if all the keyfile are in same directory there is a more efficient string to add?

Thank you

• Paul

Paul - 2006-12-04

No, unless the keyfile is in the same directory as KeePass - not very secure.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks