Ideas on how to sync multiple copies of db?

appyface
2009-03-22
2014-01-11
  • appyface

appyface - 2009-03-22

First off, how do I search and look for questions that have already been asked (and probably answered) here?  The search box in the upper right searches SourceForge for software.  Can I search these forums?

Here's my question, my apologies if it has been asked and answered.  I need to come up with a way that guarantees no loss of data when syncing between four copies of the same KeePass db's.

I have come up with an involved scheme in which I use bat files to make timestamped copies of the db's so I'm guaranteed to never overwrite a db and possibly lose an update.  I collect these various timestamped db's together in one location and then use KeePass's sync feature to try and sync up the different copies into a 'new master'.

I could not find detailed info on the KeePass.info site as far as what KeePass is doing when it does a 'sync'.  It is bringing newer records from the external file into the current db?  Is it bi-directional and newest updates on each entry from each db will be put into the other?

All I know is even though I'm trying to be careful, I have lost data.  Thankfully I have the timestamped backup copies to go back to, but this is quite tedious.

How can I make this process easier?  I have to keep multiple db copies as I don't always have internet access and I don't always have a way to use the USB stick.  So I have several copies that each get different updates, and somehow I need to consolidate these updates at the end of the day...

Thoughts appreciated, thanks!
    --appyface

• Paul

Paul - 2009-03-22

Search is on the Forums menu above.

Which version of KeePass are you using?

cheers, Paul

• appyface

appyface - 2009-05-06

Sorry for late reply!  I just posted another thread with my experiments...  I'm using 2.07.  I made a right mess of my databases by trying to get a good sync.  Help and advise is appreciated.  Log file would be REALLY helpful on sync and import but I can't seem to find one...?  Lots of questions.  Sorry I'm n00b but learning... --appyface

• Erin Fortenberry

I was using http://sync.live.com/ for a while and doing backups on one of my XP boxes that was on all the time. I had problems with this when my backups were bad I had one install on 2.06 and the rest on 2.07.

So, now I am using DropBox ( http://getdropbox.net/ ) and SpiderOak (http://spideroak.com/ ). Yes, both. I don't want to have to go through rebuilding all my passwords again.

• appyface

appyface - 2014-01-11

Here I am, still using KeePass five years later, and still having the same problem of needing field-level sync.

Has anyone got new ideas in the last five years how to sync multiple copies without losing field level data?

Right now I have literally hundreds of copies and I must keep them all because I never know which one has the most current info at a given field level. At some point I will have to spend the hours and days manually looking through each copy but if there was some easy way to find out field level changes between databases this would help greatly. Have tried using the XML conversion but the spreadsheets are very difficult for me to use, I can't seem to get anything useful from them.

Thank you and regards.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-01-11

KeePass only syncs at record level, but it keeps the old data in the history. In fact KeePass only makes changes at record level so there is no way to tell what field level data is the latest.

To tell what field has changed you would need to export the history data and compare field values, not a task for the faint hearted.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks