KeePass 1.x and VC8 (VS2005)

2013-11-12
2013-11-12
  • Frederick Wasti

Frederick Wasti - 2013-11-12

Hello.

Does anyone know which version of KeePass 1.x is the last version that can be built with VC8 (VS2005)? [And, "for extra credit" - {grin} - which version of the Boost library would be needed for this situation?]

Thanks for listening and for advising.

• Frederick Wasti

OK, maybe this is part of my answer:

I looked at the KeePass.sln, KeePassLib.vcproj, and PwSafe.vcproj files from KeePass-1.20-Src.zip in a text editor, and they all seem to be formatted for VC8 (VS2005), while those files from KeePass-1.21-Src.zip seem to be for VC9 (VS2008), so presumably V.1.20 would be the last version of KeePass that could be built with VC8. (Right?)

That still leaves my "bonus question", though - Which version of Boost should I use for KeePass? (I have never worked with Boost before.)

Thanks for listening, and for any advice anyone might have.

• Frederick Wasti

I said, "I looked at the KeePass.sln, KeePassLib.vcproj, and PwSafe.vcproj files from KeePass-1.20-Src.zip in a text editor, and they all seem to be formatted for VC8 (VS2005), while those files from KeePass-1.21-Src.zip seem to be for VC9 (VS2008), so presumably V.1.20 would be the last version of KeePass that could be built with VC8."

However, it may not be quite as simple as just that. Taking a quick look at the zipfiles for each version's source files, it appears that:

V.1.21 added one more file, IKpAPI3.h.

V.1.22 and V.1.23 added no more files.

V.1.24 added six more files, KpInternetStream.cpp, KpInternetStream.h, KpMemoryStream.cpp, KpMemoryStream.h, KpStream.cpp, and KpStream.h.

V.1.25 added two more files, StatusDialogEx.cpp and StatusDialogEx.h.

V.1.26 added five more files, PwQualityEst.cpp, PwQualityEst.h, GlobalWindowManager.cpp, GlobalWindowManager.h, and MostPopularPasswords.bin.

I do not know, of course, if all (or even if any) of the above files would even compile in VC8, but, if so, it would seem to me possible that:

If I had all of one of the newer (i.e., post-V.1.20) version's files in place (in the proper directory structure), and if I then replaced the VC9 versions of the .SLN and .VCPROJ files with the VC8 versions from V.1.20, and then, as needed, manually added each of the appropriate files to the .VCPROJ files, that it ~MIGHT~ just compile and link. Maybe. (???)

Are there any developers out there who might have some insight to share in regard to this? Thanks.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks