Source code repository

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi - Can anyone point me to the source code repository for KeePass 2.x? Unless I am missing something, it seems like the Sourceforge SVN respository ( only has some old plugin code in it. I assume the project source repository is being hosted somewhere else?

BTW - I have been a huge Keepass 1.x fan for many years. I recently switched to using a key file in addition to my master password, and while I like the additional security (in case someone finds one of my keepass files backed up), having to click the checkbox and pick the key file everytime I want to unlock it is getting to me.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2007-11-23

> Can anyone point me to the source code repository for KeePass 2.x?

No, because there is none :)

> having to click the checkbox and pick the key file everytime I want to unlock it is getting to me

You can pre-select the key file by passing the path to it in the command line. For details, see .

Best regards

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Dominik - Thanks for the reply.

I was assuming Keepass was an open source project - guess not. Really wish you would consider it.

I looked into the command line option previously, but is pretty limiting because it only works the first time you launch Keepass. I usually just launch it once when Windows starts (once a month) and then unlock it after it locks after 20 minutes of inactivity. The command line option only appeared to work on startup - not unlock.

Still a great app, but the power of an open-source community could likely make it even better.

• Paul

Paul - 2007-11-25

Todd, you are way off, KeePass is and has always been open source. See the download location for the source.

cheers, Paul

• team170

team170 - 2009-08-26

This is what I get when trying to download the source to 2.0.8 and several prior V2 versions I tried:

The "KeePass 2.x/2.08/" file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file.

This is the link it gives me:

• team170

team170 - 2009-08-27

Found out that it works in IE, not Firefox 3.5.2.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2007-11-25

Having no source code repository (version control system) doesn't mean that KeePass isn't open source.

The source code is available for all released KeePass versions. KeePass 1.x files (binaries and source code) are available here: ; KeePass 2.x files at Paul's link.

People are free to contribute patches to the KeePass code. I've accepted almost all patches that people sent to me. As the number of contributed patches is relatively small, it is far more simple for me to review and integrate such patches than handling all the version control stuff.

Best regards

• imMute

imMute - 2008-05-12

Perhaps more people would be willing to help develop KP if there was a SVN repository.
        SF and GoogleCode both provide intuitive interfaces for managing project/svn repos.  I would also be willing to help manage the code repository as I am currently working on learning the internals of KeePass 2.x so that I could help develop it further.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks guys - sorry for the confusion. I was equating the response of "no source code repository" with "closed source app" - my bad. Since you guys can limit the committers, I do think it would be nice to have some source repository with world read-only access.

Appreciate all the hard work on the app.

• Shawn Collenburg

Having a public source code repository would allow hangers-on like myself get an understanding of version history (by reviewing diffs), which can greatly enhance our understanding of the code since we have more of the historical context to see it in.

Would it be possible to move that direction? I'd be willing to help migrate

Cheers, Shawn

• Paul

Paul - 2009-08-26

Seems to be a problem with a mirror at my end. I'm sure they'll fix it soon.

Nope, all better second try.

cheers, Paul

• Rory Plaire

Rory Plaire - 2009-09-15

Wow, I'm really surprised there is no repository… I wanted to add the Keepass SVN repo as an external so I could develop a Password UI for the Fingerprint Key Provider.

I have built an automated SVN importer which can pull checkins from an existing repository to another SVN repo if that would help you publish the source in a developer-friendly way.

• Robert Sirre

Robert Sirre - 2014-09-18

Is there still no repository for KeePass? It would make the project much more open.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-09-18

The official open source repository is available here at sourceforge.

If by "more open" you actually mean open collaboration, it is unclear, that for the specific case of KeePass, that an open-collaboration development model is either desirable or feasible for the current developer or end users. The developer has a long history of implementing feature requests consistent with his overall vision for the product, and of interacting with users (via this forum) to improve the product while maintaining security. Additionally a plugin architecture provides a means for other developers to add features. My personal opinion is that the current single developer, open source development model for the primary program has served the end-user community quite well.

If by repository you mean a particular style of repository e.g. an svn repository, the current system of depositing source code for stable releases only is probably easier for the developer to manage. Given that the project is not currently open collaboration, it seems like a viable choice. if you prefer an alternate repository style, see this thread for additional unofficial repositories.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-09-18
  • ulrich_b

ulrich_b - 2015-02-21

@Dominik: Have you considered using Git / Github?

Using Git, you could continue developing the next version privately on you local machine. After finishing a release, you can push all the commits to the public Github repository, as you do it at the moment with the source code ZIP files.

The advantage you gain would be an easy possibility for other developers to contribute (they would just have to propose "pull requests"). Plus an open discussion / review process of these pull requests on Github (which works really good in other projects). Plus an easy integration (merge) of the pull requests on your side.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks