Feature Request: Quality column

Anonymous
2011-08-26
2014-05-25
  • Anonymous - 2011-08-26

Could you add the quality column in the available columns?

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-02-04

Version 1.1 of the plugin is deprecated now.

The latest version of the QualityColumn plugin is available from here:
    http://keepass.info/plugins.html#qcol

Best regards,
    Dominik

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2014-05-23

I just tried QualityColumn.plgx, but after installing it, KPEnhancedEntryView.plgx stopped working, and deleting QualityColumn.plgx hasn't fixed it.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-24

KeePass 2.26 with QualityColumn v 1.2.0.0 and KPEnhancedEntryView v 0.20.0.0 work fine together on my Win 7 Home Premium x32 & x64 computers.

KPEnhancedEntryView.plgx stopped working, and deleting QualityColumn.plgx hasn't fixed it.

Try clearing the plugin cache and restarting KeePass. Tools>Plugins...>Press the Clear button.

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2014-05-24

Tried that; didn't help. See attached screenshot, taken after restarting. Normally, with KPEnhancedEntryView.plgx installed, the Fields tab shows more than just Notes and Attachments.

Last edit: T. Bug Reporter 2014-05-24
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-24

Sounds like something in your installation might be damaged. You could try:

1. Clear the plugin cache (again) & close KeePass
    2. Remove all plugins from the program directory.
    3. Rename the active keepass.config.xml file to keepass.config.old.xml. (See http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html for possible locations)
    4. Start KeePass. Check for problems. Note: If you successfully identified and renamed the active keepass.config.xml file, KeePass will start using default settings.
    5. Add one plugin back as follows: Close KeePass, copy the plugin into program directory, restart KeePass and check for problems.
    6. Repeat step 5 for each additional plugin.
    7. If no problems are detected close KeePass a final time, copy the renamed keepass.config.old.xml back to keepass.config.xml in the original location; start KeePass. KeePass will start with the restored user settings. Check for problems.

Note: You can also report problems to the KPEnhanceEntryView developer at https://sourceforge.net/p/kpenhentryview/discussion/general/

Last edit: wellread1 2014-05-24
  • AlexVallat

AlexVallat - 2014-05-24

KPEnhancedEntryView developer here. It's a bit of a mystery to me how installing the Password Quality Column plugin could have caused this, but looking at the screenshot your posted, what's happened is that in the Enhanced Entry View the splitter separating the fields area from the notes/attachements area has been moved all the way up to the top, hiding them.

To fix this click and drag downwards from just above the Notes area, to resize the split to wherever you want.

I appreciate that this is not obvious if you don't already know about dragging the splitter, so I'm going to look into indicating it better in the UI for the next version.

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2014-05-24

I figured that out when I looked into the KeePass.config.xml file and found <Key>KPEnhancedEntryView.FieldNotesSplit</Key> <Value>0</Value>. I'm as puzzled as you are as to why installing QualityColumn.plgx would have caused that, but now that I know that the split can be moved, I won't be having that problem again.

However, I found something else while reading thru KeePass.config.xml that I think is odd, but I don't know if it qualifies as a bug or not. If it is a bug, I should really start a separate thread about it, but before I do, I'd like to know what you folks think. When I deleted QualityColumn.plgx, I didn't think to go back in the "Configure Columns.." dialog to turn off the actual Quality column first; now I find KeePass in a state with a blank Quality column and no way to turn it off short of reinstalling QualityColumn.plgx, hand-editing KeePass.config.xml, or faking it by adjusting the column width to zero.

This may be intentional, to enable KeePass to restore the previous settings for the plugin if and when it's reinstalled, but apparently without the plugin present to announce the existence of the custom column to KeePass, KeePass is incapable of managing that column in the normal UI.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-05-24

I agree the 'Configure Columns' dialog should support managing columns leftover from uninstalled plugins, and have added this now.

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_140524c.zip

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2014-05-25

Hmm. I applaud you for addressing this new problem so quickly, but I'm not sure what to think about how you chose to address it. To test, I unzipped the file, ran the .exe, used it to create a test database, shut it down, added QualityColumn.plgx, restarted, used "Configure Columns..." to turn on the Quality column, dragged the new column between Password and Notes(*1), shut it down again, deleted QualityColumn.plgx, restarted again, opened "Configure Columns...", found and unchecked the Quality column, clicked "OK", opened "Configure Columns..." again, saw that the Quality column checkbox was now gone, shut down, reinstalled QualityColumn.plgx, restarted again, re-added the Quality column, and saw that the new column was back at the right end and not where I had originally put it(*2).

(*1) Why does configuring columns in KeePass require a separate dialog for some functions, when other programs allow all of their column configuring to be done by clicking or right-clicking the column headings? Is there some function in this dialog that's too complicated to handle in a right-click menu?

(*2) Deleting settings for a plugin whenever the plugin can't be found may be a bad idea, especially for people like me who run KeePass from a network location instead of a local drive. What if the network connection drops for a minute at exactly the wrong time? What if the user is doing some temporary testing or maintenance? For example, with most Firefox extensions, I can reinstall days or weeks after uninstalling and find the reinstalled version to be configured exactly as it was when I uninstalled it.

Then again, this may be more just a matter of defining and explaining this to users as the expected behavior, because if it weren't for this conversation, I wouldn't have expected it.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-05-25
    1. Context menus seem to be available only for actions on records, not KeePass configuration.

2. Deleting settings is correct IMO - the action is for cleaning up after removing a plug-in. If you didn't remove the settings how would KeePass know to ignore the setting, yet allow a re-installed plug-in to remain configured?

cheers, Paul