How to merge two databases?

J.V.
2013-05-16
2013-05-17
  • J.V.

J.V. - 2013-05-16

I had a keepass database that I had on my hard drive and then copied to a usb drive that I took on a trip (where I made many modifications to the DB).

When I returned home I made the mistake of opening keepass and making modifications to the database on my hard drive.

Now I have two databases, one on my hard drive and one on my USB drive that I wish to merge into one.

Each has a few additional entries.

Is there a tool for this or am i out of luck?

thanks

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-05-16

If you are using KeePass 2.x, synchronize the databases. File>Synchronize>Synchronize with File... (Ctrl+R)

• develop1

develop1 - 2013-05-16

BTW: Synchronize is a two way record level sync.
    When the sync completes (which typically only takes a second or two) both files will have identical copies of data to each other.
    This means missing data from one is pushed into the other and visa-versa.

If the above bothers you make backups of each file before sync'ing.
    I use the sync process every day to ensure local/remote .kdbx files agree with each other.
    From my experience the sync process is 100% correct/bullet proof so while I always have backups for due dillgence reasons I don't do anything special prior to sync'ing.

• J.V.

J.V. - 2013-05-16

The only thing that might be a problem is having deleted info from one database that I wanted deleted and have it reappear in the other database and essentially undeleted in the original database (that is if in the end both are identical).

Another thing is what if I modified the same entry in both DB's, which one wins?

• Paul

Paul - 2013-05-17

The latest entry (by time) wins, all others are moved to the History tab. Deleted items appear in the recycle bin inside KeePass.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks