Does anyone get email notifications from SF forums?

2014-06-28
2015-03-22
  • Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2014-06-28

I asked this of the SF support a good while ago & the answer was a definite "we're not sure."
    Does anyone get, or ever gotten, email notifications of replies on SF project forums like Keepass? If so, what's the trick? I've gone over profile settings many times.

Today, I came across some post talking about their email notifications from SF (as in, they had gotten them, at some point). Though, wasn't clear if the notices were from project forums.

I've never gotten them from project forums & worked w/ SF support a while, to try see if it was offered. I get notifications from any bug reports I participate in.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-06-28

You can subscribe to the entire Discussion or Help forum by opening the forum to the View that displays all threads in the forum. Then click on the envelope icon in right corner of the black forum title header. You need to do this for every forum you wish to monitor. As far as I know you can not subscribe to an individual thread.

You can manage your subscriptions by going to your own account and click on 'Subscriptions'.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-06-29

You can subscribe to individual bug tickets using the same technique as used to subscribe to forums.

• Brittney Smith

Brittney Smith - 2014-06-29

Thanks. Under my profile > subscriptions, other than bug tickets, at the bottom there are a few entries w/ my user name:
    Under the "App" column, there's Activity, Admin, Profile, Search & Wiki.

No idea what any of those mean, but apparently checking either Activity or Wiki won't result in receiving notifications from forum posts. Maybe the comments I saw about someone getting notices weren't for forum posts.

However, I don't see exactly the same as you describe. There's no "envelope" - but 3 letters up there:
    p (send email to create a new topic);
    f ("feed");
    M (subscribe / unsubscribe to this discussion) doesn't say WHAT discussion.

There's also check boxes to the L of each main post & another letter "M" at top, above the checkboxes & just to the L of word "Topic." That M isn't active / clickable, but hovering it shows "Subscriptions." (I have all java script allowed on this page).

Last, but not least, at bottom of main forum page (that lists the posts), directly under the column of check boxes, there's a big button - "Update Email Subscription." It appears active / clickable. Not sure what is "updated."

May be like, "You can click this button if you want. It doesn't do anything, but clicking it might make you feel better."

I did see when I clicked the M at top, R of page (subscribe to this discussion), then "Open Discussion" was added to my Account:Subscriptions. But none of the posts I checked their boxes, show up in my acct nor do I get email for them (even after clicking the feel good "Update email subscriptions."

Maybe someone can play around w/ those things on the forum & see if email works for single posts. Not sure why SF wouldn't offer that; "everyone else is doing it."

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-06-29

Managing subscriptions is what you do after you have a subscription.

See the attached screenshot for the location of the subscribe button.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-06-29

I get email notification from all the KeePass forums because I have subscribed to them via the envelope icon wellread described. Occasionally I don't get an email, but it's pretty good.

cheers, Paul

• Brittney Smith

Thanks wellread, as mentioned, for some reason, I only see letters where your screen shows mail icon, etc. But if I hover / click the 'M' (where you show an envelope), it toggles being subscribed / unsubscribed to ALL posts in say, the whole "Open Discussion" forum.

That's way too much email for many forum users (almost any site) & I can't remember another site / forum (outside of sourceforge) where it was get notices for every single comment, or nothing. :D If there are others like that (forums, not lists) , it's rare.

Paul - thanks for all your work here.

By, "I get email notification from all the KeePass forums,"

"All" being the key word?

1) I take it you haven't found a way to receive email notices for only topics you participate in (or ones you specifically choose)?
    Is that accurate?
    2) Or, you've just never looked for a way to get notices for only topics you posted in?
    Which looks better? (1) or (2)?; (yes... or no)?; A... or B?; 1st... or 2nd? :)

Isn't that a bit strange for one of the biggest software sites around - considering a majority other tiny, one man operations / forums support getting notices only for topics you participate in? Sometimes other forums give a choice to get notices for all topics, or ones you post in.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-06-29

I have been getting all notifications for so long I can't remember how to get individual notification. I know you can subscribe to individual forums (fora), but individual threads are, I think, automatic if you have posted in them.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-06-29

The RSS feed icon is available on each thread where the email icon is, perhaps that feature can be used.

One can receive email on individual feature/bug tickets but not on individual forum threads. I suspect the feature is either unavailable for forums, or not turned on.

The sourceforge forum software is called Allura. They don't maintain a user forum but they do have a mailing list archive that that is supposedly a way to obtain help. It accessible via https://sourceforge.net/projects/allura/support.

They also operate a sourceforge ticket system e.g. https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/milestone/forge-jul-11/. They are not very communicative, but at least you can post in a venue where it will be seen by the developers.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-06-29
  • Brittney Smith

Thanks. For the moment, I'll assume that subscribing to individual threads is not possible. I contacted support before the many recent changes on SF. I can ask the question again about individual thread notices.

Last time, that question was "forwarded to engineering for investigation / input." Maybe I forgot, but don't remember getting a direct answer from engineering.

• Sebastian

Sebastian - 2015-03-22

Do you have received a answer? I wish to subscribe to individual Topics also, but didnt found a way to do this.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-03-22

There is no email for individual topics but there is an RSS feed button at the top right of each thread. There are many RSS feed readers available, including some email clients like Outlook, and I believe Thunderbird, that can manage feeds like email.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks