Request: dropdown for username

Clipper87
2014-07-11
2014-07-12
  • Clipper87
    Clipper87
    2014-07-11

Most of the time an email address is used as login name. So each time a user creates an entry in Keepass he needs to enter his email address as username. A dropdown with all unique usernames entered so far in Keepass would facilitate entering new records.

• wellread1
    wellread1
    2014-07-11

You can set the default username for all new entries in the database at 'File>Database Settings...>General(tab)'

The user can also create user defined entry templates containing alternate usernames or other data that can be selected from the Add Entry button on the KeePass menu bar. See http://keepass.info/help/v2/dbsettings.html#templates for more information.

• Clipper87
    Clipper87
    2014-07-12

I have several "default" usernames so suggestion 1 is not an option.
    Templates need a title in order to easily select them and that title then is being copied over to the new entry based on the entry; not an option either.
    A simple dropdown with every unique username that has been used in the database really would be the solution. Thx for your ideas anyway

• Part of the problem is that the existing template system isn't granular enough. I've encountered many situations where I don't want to create an entirely new record, or to reconfigure an entire record to conform to a template record, but I do want to change record X's field Foo to contain similar data to record Y's field Foo, or to set guidelines that apply to every field Foo no matter which record it's in.

This is one of the issues that I'd like to address with my own plugins - if I ever manage to learn my way around C#. (I thought I was a decent programmer until I installed SharpDevelop and started trying to read the source code for KeePass and some of the existing plugins; nine times out of ten, I'll go in asking, "Where's the code that performs this task, and how does it work?" and come out hours later, still totally clueless, and usually more confused than when I started.)

Last edit: T. Bug Reporter 2014-07-12