Change key mapping for quick search?

2014-08-20
2014-09-09
  • Garret Wilson

Garret Wilson - 2014-08-20

KeePass has a handy quick search, which acts more like a filter for quickly drilling down to certain entries. Nice! But the key mapping is set to... Ctrl+E?

Ctrl+F is mapped to the search dialog, which is completely correct. But for a quick search filter field, the common mapping is Ctrl+K! (See FireFox, Chrome, Thunderbird, Eclipse....)

How can I change the quick search mapping to Ctrl+K?

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-08-20

Shortcut keys cannot be changed (at least not without a plugin or recompiling KeePass).

In my opinion, Ctrl+E for the quick search is correct.
    - In Windows Explorer, Ctrl+E focuses the search box, Ctrl+K does nothing.
    - In Internet Explorer, Ctrl+E starts a search in the address bar, Ctrl+K copies the current tab.
    - In Firefox, both Ctrl+E and Ctrl+K focus the search box.
    - In Opera, Ctrl+E focuses the search box, Ctrl+K does something with e-mail/chat.

Wikipedia lists Ctrl+E as convention for 'Focus and select Web search bar'.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Garret Wilson

Garret Wilson - 2014-08-27

In my opinion ...

There is a saying about opinions. ;) I think the larger point is that any application worth its salt allows key remapping, because sometimes your opinion will not match mine.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-08-27

Why don't you change the code and recompile it for your own use?

cheers, Paul

• Garret Wilson

Garret Wilson - 2014-09-09

Why don't you change the code and recompile it for your own use?

Paul, following your logic, shouldn't we remove the ability to customize the Ctrl+Alt+A and Ctrl+Alt+K keys? This configuration screen just complicates the KeePass code, and users could just change the code and recompile it for their own use if they wanted to use some other key combination...

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks