KeePass in SSIS Package

Kris
2013-11-05
2013-11-08
  • Kris

Kris - 2013-11-05

Has anyone used KeePass / KeeForm in a SSIS package? If so, I'd like to pick your brain for ideas, pitfalls, etc. I'm starting a project to automate a process that involves signing on to clients' servers using the data stored in KeePass. Looking for any input, advice, even derision at my naivety. Thanks.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-11-06

Are you asking about SQL Server Integration Services?
    How do you expect / hope this will work?

cheers, Paul

• Kris

Kris - 2013-11-07

I apologize, I should have been more clear.
      Yes, I'm referring to SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS). I know that a SSIS package can be built to connect to a remote server (been there, done that). My issue arises when retrieving the login information (user id, password). Currently, we store all of the login information to our clients servers in KeePass. I don't particularly want to keep a separate copy of this data in a SQL database - that would defeat the purpose of using KeePass in the first place. However, I don't know how to access KeePass data from a SSIS package.
      Hmmm, on second thought, my question is more appropriately phrased as: how do I access KeePass data programmatically (C#, .NET, whatever)? I should do some more research.

• David Lechner

David Lechner - 2013-11-07

Assuming that you are using KeePass 2.x, it is a .NET program and has plugin support, so it is pretty easy to extend. If KeePass is running on the same machine as your SQL server, you could write your own plugin so that the two can communicate.

There are also KeePassRPC from the KeeFox project or KeePassHttp which allow authenticated, encrypted, remote access to KeePass. If you want a .NET client though, you will have to write your own because the only existing clients I know of for both of these are written in JavaScript.

• Kris

Kris - 2013-11-08

Thanks, guys. I will experiment with both suggestions. I appreciate the timely feedback - most helpful.