KeePass Keeps Crashing

Mick
2013-09-21
2013-09-23
  • Mick

Mick - 2013-09-21

Can anyone assist. My copy of KeePass v2.23 at work and home have both started crashing about a week ago. This usually happens when I'm not in the edit mode for a record but I think it happens more when I make changes in the Notes pane, without opening the record, and sometimes when I save it, it crashes. The edit mode displays too small of a notes window and is much easier to edit notes without opening the record. Two black boxes appear in the right panel, one large one at the top and one in the lower right corner. This is followed by a pop-up window stating the program is not responding and have to close it.

Also, for the past 2-3 weeks when saving a record I have been receiving an error pop-window with the option of quitting or continuing. I click continue and the record saves. Thank you.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-09-21

You cannot edit the notes without opening the record for editing.
    Are you running a plug-in that allows in-line editing?

cheers, Paul

• Mick

Mick - 2013-09-21

Yes, I do have the plug-in for in-line editing but I have not had an issue with it in the past and it has not been updated. However, it is possible that is where the problem is. I suppose I can delete the plug-in and see if I still get the problem. Thanks.

Mick

• Mick

Mick - 2013-09-22

I removed the KPEnhancedEntryView plug-in and I think that may have corrected the crashing but I really dislike the program layout without this feature. I may try it again in the future.

• AlexVallat

AlexVallat - 2013-09-22

KPEnhancedEntryView

That would be me to answer, then. If you can give me the details text from the error message, then I might be able to figure out why it's crashing, and fix it. To do this, if you see the message box which allows you to continue or quit, there ought to also be a Details button which will expand the dialog to give the full error text. You can then copy and paste that here.

Or, an alternative is to click Start, Run, and paste the following:

eventvwr "/f:<QueryList><Query Id='0' Path='Application'><Select Path='Application'>*[System[Provider[@Name='.NET Runtime'] and (EventID=1026)]]</Select></Query></QueryList>"

That will run the windows event viewer and filter it to show .net crashes. By looking at the date and time of each one, you ought to be able to find one that corresponds to KeePass crashing. Select it, then in the pane on the bottom, in the Ganeral tab, copy and paste the text that appears there.

The most helpful crashes for me are the earliest ones. Once a crash has occurred, even if you clicked Continue and it appeared to keep working OK, any subsequent crashes or misbehaviour (like the black squares) until you exit and restart are likely to be side effects of the first one.

Alex

Last edit: AlexVallat 2013-09-22
  • Mick

Mick - 2013-09-23

Alex,
    Here is the error message I get when trying to save. I don't know if this is related to your plugin or not.

When I click in the KPEnhancedEntryView notes section it will usually stop functioning followed by the black window. When I try to exit I get the Not Responding message. This seems to happen after I have made a few changes but is not consistent. Thanks.

Last edit: Mick 2013-09-23
  • AlexVallat

AlexVallat - 2013-09-23

Thanks for the extra info. For next time, just a copy and paste of the details text would be fine, and probably easier to do! Anyway, I could see enough of the text from the screenshot to figure out what's going on.

The crash is coming from the DataBaseBackup plugin, which has a bug where if it tries to backup the database to the exact same (backup) filename twice, it will crash. From inspecting the source to that plugin, there are a couple of reasons this might occur. Firstly, if you have the same Backup directory added more than once in the list (so check that you don't!), and secondly, if the backup would be made with the same name, after applying the configured Date Format.

In your case, you are using the default (dd-MMMM-yyyy-hh-mm-ss) format, which means that if a backup is made more than once in the same second, it will crash.

So, a few of things you can do to fix this, if it isn't that you have duplicate Backup directory names. You could uninstall DataBaseBackup. You could uncheck the "Automatically Backup DB" option. You could modify the Date Format for DataBaseBackup to include greater precision: dd-MMMM-yyyy-hh-mm-ss-fff would include milliseconds and make it very unlikely that the database would be saved twice with the same name!

Or, you could disable the trigger you are using to automatically save the database immediately whenever a change is made. Any of those fixes would probably do the job.

For the developer of DataBaseBackup, if you read this, please consider adding more robust handling for attempting to save duplicate backups. Either a minimum timeout within which another backup will not be made, or just replacing the identically-named backup would be better than crashing.

Alex

• Mick

Mick - 2013-09-23

Thanks!! Will check when I have more time but may be a few days or more now.