KeePass and Ubuntu Unity

wneo
2011-04-01
2013-05-19
  • wneo

wneo - 2011-04-01

I use KeePass on Ubuntu and I would love to be able to minimize the program to the notification area and access it via a indicator icon. http://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/appindicators/

• Johannes Rohr

Johannes Rohr - 2012-11-16

Hi, just to second this, I am running GNOME 2 one one and GNOME 3 on another computer. On both installs, keepass2 does not appear in the notification area. On KDE however it does. What's the difference? I thought the notification area was an opendesktop.org standard, so when it works on one desktop it should work on all of them.

• Paul

Paul - 2012-11-16

KeePass is the same on both machines so it will be something on one of your machines. Check the Mono versions and packages installed.

cheers, Paul

• Johannes Rohr

Johannes Rohr - 2012-11-17

It is not really an issue of different machines. On the same machine, the notification area icon does appear in a KDE session but doesn't in GNOME. So obviously mono versions and packages are the same, and this is reproducible accross different machines and mono versions. 
    I recally that a couple of years back the same issue existed with Wine/Windows application, where likewise the systray icons appeared in KDE but didn't in GNOME.

• Johannes Rohr

Johannes Rohr - 2012-11-17

I think however, the Ubuntu Unity is different, because Unity restricts which apps are or aren't allowed to display notification area / incator applet icons.

• Julian Taylor

Julian Taylor - 2012-11-18

unity uses a different systray library than everybody else (libindicator)
    you would have to whitelist the application via:

gsettings get/set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist

but it doesn't really work even if whitelisted.

• Johannes Rohr

Johannes Rohr - 2012-11-18

I have two nearly identical Gnome installs (debian squeeze). on one of them it works, on the other it doesnt. the difference between the two is the architecture. the one which works is i386, the other which doesnt is amd64. could

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks