Question about Installation after installing New Windows

Sebastian
2013-01-15
2013-01-15
  • Sebastian

Sebastian - 2013-01-15

Hi, does anyone of you guys know what I have to do before a windows new installation with keypass?

Which keypass files exactly must I save before the new installation of windows?

Where exactly are they saved? Where exactly do i have to copy them after new installation back to make keypass work with the same data like before?

Thank you,
    Sebastian

Last edit: Sebastian 2013-01-15
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-01-15

The transfer process depends on how many password database files you have created and how you configured the Master Key for your password database file(s). Many users only have one password database file and the Master Key for this file is ONLY a password. If that corresponds to your setup then all you need from the original installation is a copy the password database file. The default extension of the password database file is .kdb for KP 1.x and .kdbx for KP 2.x.

Install the appropriate major version of KeePass in the new installation (KeePass 1.x and 2.x file formats are not compatible). Copy the original password database file to a location appropriate for user files (not the program directory). Start KeePass and open the database file that you saved in the new location. When prompted for the Master Key, enter your password. If your Master Key is ONLY a password, you should able to access your other passwords.

If the database Master Key included a key file then you must also make sure that you have a copy of that key file. Finally if the Master Key includes a link to the current Windows User Account then you must unlink the database from the original Windows User Account prior to moving the database, or deleting the original Windows User Account.

I strongly recommend that prior to deleting anything from your original windows installation, you verify that you can access your passwords either from the new installation or an installation other than the one you are replacing.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks