Providing access to kdbx in commercial/shareware c# application

skoell76
2013-02-11
2015-04-06
  • skoell76

skoell76 - 2013-02-11

Hi,

as I understand, KeePass is GPLv2. I'm looking for a way to let users open kdbx files (read-only) and provide access to the entries in my application.

My application is shareware and not open source, so I'm wondering if there's a way to provide access to those entries without violating GPLv2. I'm not creating another keepass clone for money. My tool is a remote management tool (Royal TS http://www.royalts.com) which has its own credential repository but many users are already using keepass and they are looking for a way to use those credentials in my app.

I've found a way to reference the .exe file in c# and with a couple lines of code, I'm able to get everything out I need. So my question is, if the user is obtaining a version of keepass, installs it, points my app to the .exe location, am I violating GPL if I do a late-binding to the assembly and invoke the keepass API?

Thank you for your response!

cheers,
    Stefan

• Paul

Paul - 2013-02-11

If you don't use any KeePass code you can do what you like.
    Alternatively create a plug-in that sits between the apps and release the plug-in under GPL.

cheers, Paul

• skoell76

skoell76 - 2013-02-11

Hi Paul,

thank you for taking the time to respond. So, just referencing the .exe and calling the API doesn't violate GPL, right? If so, I may go this route.

Thank you!
    Stefan

• Paul

Paul - 2013-02-11

The GPL is about the code in KeePass. As it has external hooks you can call them as you like.

cheers, Paul

• skoell76

skoell76 - 2013-02-11

Understood, thank you!

• Guido Leenders

Guido Leenders - 2015-04-06

It would be nice when there would a standard plugin under LGPL available separate from Keepass to avoid that all third party closed source each installs a different plugin.

• Paul

Paul - 2015-04-06

What would a "standard" plug-in do? Is it only for access to existing passwords and if so, how do you decide what fields to use?

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks