Menu

Database security in comparison with a good pw at the beginning of the KeePass file and a later change

IHSM
2017-03-25
2017-03-25
  • IHSM

IHSM - 2017-03-25

Hi all,

i have an "old" database file (kdbx) which had a very simple pw until 1 week ago. Now i have loaded the old database file with the newest Keepass version and have changed the pw of the old file into a complex one with the pw change function of Keepass.

=> Is the security in the end the same or should i better create a completely new Keepass file with a complex pw at the beginning of the file and import all entries from the old database?

Thanks in advance for this info

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-03-25

When you save an older format KeePass database using a new version of KeePass, the old format is converted to the new format. When you change the master password of a KeePass database the database is encrypted using the new password. Protection is as strong as the new password. It does not make any difference that the a weaker password was once used.

Of course any extra copies of the old database will still be protected with the old password. You should either change their master password, delete them, or move them offline.

• IHSM

IHSM - 2017-03-25

Thank you for the very detailed answer. This is very good to know.

A further question to the save in the new format => I am using the Plugin "DataBaseBackup by Francis Noël" for archiving the database files. Do have this Plugin any impact to the save operation in the new format or is blocking the conversion maybe?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-03-25

If you can open a backup made with this plugin then it works.

• IHSM

IHSM - 2017-03-25

Yes a backup can be opened.

Are there a possibility to check the version type of the kdbx file to verify that the database file was successfully converted to the newest version?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-03-25

In general, new versions of KeePass will automatically and silently upgrade the file format when the database is saved. New file formats are not backward compatible. An exception is the current version of KeePass, which will upgrade to the new format only if it is needed. If maximum compatibility is important to you, do not force a conversion.